~alpine/devel

Re: APKBUILD Optional/Recommended Dependencies

<20190822101023.6355b767@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:06:18 +0000
Rasmus Thomsen <oss@cogitri.dev> wrote:

> 3.
> Have "optional" and "recommended" dependencies. Optional deps
> wouldn't be installed by default (and could be enabled as previously
> outlined, as opt-in), whereas recommended ones would be opt-out (also
> via a config/CLI switch). We'd need some guidelines as to what's
> recommended and what's optional though and how apk should handle
> either of them being removed while the main package is installed.
>

> I think I personally like the 3rd option the best and it seems to
> (somewhat) align with what you've suggested too.

How should we define what is recommended? should we only rely on
upstream or will we end up in making judgement calls (and potentially
long discussions and flamewars)?

For example, some software needs a database. postgresql, mysql and
sqlite are all fine. upstream does not recommend anything specific.
What should we recommend?

I don't think the "what do you recommend?" question from users should
be answered via package manager. It highly depends on the users needs,
priorities and taste.

For example, `apk add git` will not install `git send-email`. Should we
recommend installing that or not? I think that completely depends. If
user intend to send patches via email, then yes absolutely, if not, why
should we recommend it?