ansible-lint package

<20191128171101.5f46a241@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
Hi!

I updated ansible-lint package to 4.1.1a1 so it builds with python 3.8.

It looks like upstream has removed the setup.py in favor of `pip
install`.[1]

Do you (or someone else) know how we properly can package
this properly with pip? [2]

Or should we simply remove the package, telling the users to use pip
install and let upstream deal with the user support?

Thanks!
-nc

[1]: https://github.com/ansible/ansible-lint/commit/995b4509be1e8ef1e200db60965e98396185500a
[2]: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0517/
<20200511070308.GA24713@nuc.home>
In-Reply-To
<20191128171101.5f46a241@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Hello,

Sorry to reply to a email from November, but we just implemented a
solution.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 05:11:01PM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> I updated ansible-lint package to 4.1.1a1 so it builds with python 3.8.
>
> It looks like upstream has removed the setup.py in favor of `pip
> install`.[1]
>
> Do you (or someone else) know how we properly can package
> this properly with pip? [2]

We upgrade to 4.2 in 7699 [1] by adopting an approach from Arch Linux:

```
-	python3 setup.py build
+	python3 -c "from setuptools import setup; setup();" build
```

> Or should we simply remove the package, telling the users to use pip
> install and let upstream deal with the user support?

We had a discussion about this on the MR. I see a lot of value in
keeping libraries with C extensions packaged as these require other
build tools as well as pip. For example py3-ruamel.yaml.clib
is an indirect dependency of ansible-lint.

Python packaging and build tools are evolving, and I find this an
interesting topic.

[1]: https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/merge_requests/7699

--
Kind Regards