RFC: an online alpine developer conference

<20200521160527.718c2d2c@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
Hi!

I'd like to share something I have been thinking of lately. What if we
had an online alpine developer conference?

We could set of a day or two. Invite speakers and have sessions online
using some video conferencing tool. (jitsi, zoom, hangouts, whatever).

I'd like it to be as interactive as possible so it is not just talks
that could been done on youtube.

If we want this, is there anyone who can help organize it? (find out
when, find out what platform to use, send out call for papers, help set
up a schedule, help figure out how/if to register participants etc)

Thanks!

-nc
Francesco Colista <francesco@bsod.eu>
<9e6632dd8fae39f5b33000e9f96ef2cd@bsod.eu>
In-Reply-To
<20200521160527.718c2d2c@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
21 maggio 2020 16:05, "Natanael Copa" <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> I'd like to share something I have been thinking of lately. What if we
> had an online alpine developer conference?

That's an amazing idea, Natanael!
+10000

.: Francesco Colista
Rasmus Thomsen <oss@cogitri.dev>
<9cafe4bd60a19919cec4bf732ae0dd34998b4f44.camel@cogitri.dev>
On Thu, 2020-05-21 at 16:05 +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to share something I have been thinking of lately. What if
> we
> had an online alpine developer conference?

Sounds like a great idea to me, I'm sure we could hear many interesting
talks. :)

> If we want this, is there anyone who can help organize it? (find out
> when, find out what platform to use, send out call for papers, help
> set
> up a schedule, help figure out how/if to register participants etc)

I guess that'd depend on when the conference is scheduled to be - I
could help unless it's near the end of June/start of August as that's
exam time for me.

Regards,

Rasmus
<2415876.lMG0q3WddN@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<20200521160527.718c2d2c@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Hello,

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:05:27 AM MDT Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to share something I have been thinking of lately. What if we
> had an online alpine developer conference?
>
> We could set of a day or two. Invite speakers and have sessions online
> using some video conferencing tool. (jitsi, zoom, hangouts, whatever).

Yes, sounds interesting.  Perhaps we could schedule it for August or so?

I think my employer (who are sponsoring the MIPS port) can provide
infrastructure and sysadmin assistance to integrate everything together, as
well.

> I'd like it to be as interactive as possible so it is not just talks
> that could been done on youtube.

Agreed.

> If we want this, is there anyone who can help organize it? (find out
> when, find out what platform to use, send out call for papers, help set
> up a schedule, help figure out how/if to register participants etc)

I'm willing to help with organization as long as there are other people also
interested.  Otherwise, I have too many things I am juggling right now.  But I
have some experience doing this already.

Ariadne
<56823691.TiyEYPsqlG@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<2415876.lMG0q3WddN@localhost> (view parent)
Hello,

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:00:43 PM MDT Ariadne Conill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:05:27 AM MDT Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd like to share something I have been thinking of lately. What if we
> > had an online alpine developer conference?
> >
> > We could set of a day or two. Invite speakers and have sessions online
> > using some video conferencing tool. (jitsi, zoom, hangouts, whatever).
>
> Yes, sounds interesting.  Perhaps we could schedule it for August or so?
>
> I think my employer (who are sponsoring the MIPS port) can provide
> infrastructure and sysadmin assistance to integrate everything together, as
> well.

Based on IRC conversations, it seems that August 8th and 9th are probably good
dates for this, as this will allow us to get enough talks going.

So, the next step is to come up with a mechanism for submitting talk
proposals.  There's two ways we can go with this:

1. We can submit CFPs to a gitlab repository.

2. We can use a software like OpenCFP to accept CFP submissions.

Both seem simple enough to do, so it comes down to user preference.  I would
like to see not just talks relating to Alpine itself, but the ecosystem
enabled by Alpine as a whole, partner distributions like Void and Adelie,
downstream consumers such as postmarketOS, and commercial uses of Alpine like
Docker and my own employer which are baking Alpine-based firmware for
networking CPEs.  And of course folks from projects we use like musl and so on
would also be welcome to submit talks.

I think between all of that, we can come up with at least 2 days of solid
Alpine-related content.

Ariadne
<EF141172-1860-4770-8D0E-0C8BAB63885A@shiz.me>
In-Reply-To
<56823691.TiyEYPsqlG@localhost> (view parent)
I’d just like to chime in and state I will be very disappointed if
ends up not being called Alp(onl)ine.

- Shiz
Nathan Angelacos <nangel@alpinelinux.org>
<4bbcde414f508ef2d4a10cd67507257108963664.camel@alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<EF141172-1860-4770-8D0E-0C8BAB63885A@shiz.me> (view parent)
On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 21:02 +0200, Shiz wrote:
> I’d just like to chime in and state I will be very disappointed if
> ends up not being called Alp(onl)ine.
>
> - Shiz

You need to get your regex right:

Alp[onl]*ine

<grin>
<8b7db2c6-4dea-3757-0178-ea4965ec6998@postmarketos.org>
In-Reply-To
<20200521160527.718c2d2c@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Great idea, I'm definitively interested!

I would strongly prefer if we could use a free software tool for the
conference though.

Regards,
Oliver

Natanael Copa:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to share something I have been thinking of lately. What if we
> had an online alpine developer conference?
>
> We could set of a day or two. Invite speakers and have sessions online
> using some video conferencing tool. (jitsi, zoom, hangouts, whatever).
>
> I'd like it to be as interactive as possible so it is not just talks
> that could been done on youtube.
>
> If we want this, is there anyone who can help organize it? (find out
> when, find out what platform to use, send out call for papers, help set
> up a schedule, help figure out how/if to register participants etc)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -nc
<2982052.IqFZyr3sfq@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<8b7db2c6-4dea-3757-0178-ea4965ec6998@postmarketos.org> (view parent)
Hello,

On Monday, June 1, 2020 12:08:35 AM MDT Oliver Smith wrote:
> Great idea, I'm definitively interested!
>
> I would strongly prefer if we could use a free software tool for the
> conference though.

It is our intention to use libre software for producing the conference.  But
we are still quite early in the planning process.  If anyone has technical
suggestions for producing the conference, it would be helpful to share them
with us.

Ariadne
Daniel Corbe <daniel@corbe.net>
<CAMxLOn1RkfdErwYFGzw=AAUBjL4t_Bod3=czTg-TkS1Zbv=e3Q@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<2982052.IqFZyr3sfq@localhost> (view parent)
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:16 AM Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Monday, June 1, 2020 12:08:35 AM MDT Oliver Smith wrote:
> > Great idea, I'm definitively interested!
> >
> > I would strongly prefer if we could use a free software tool for the
> > conference though.
>
> It is our intention to use libre software for producing the conference.  But
> we are still quite early in the planning process.  If anyone has technical
> suggestions for producing the conference, it would be helpful to share them
> with us.
>
> Ariadne

Does the project have an official Youtube or Twitch channel?
Presenters can use OBS, which is free and open source software and
makes short work of doing screen captures for broadcasting.  From
there, you can turn any Youtube livestream into just a regular youtube
video.  I realize Youtube isn't exactly the freest platform in the
world; however,  its audience reach is unparalleled; and I'm sure
everyone here has watched youtube livestreams and VODs before.
<3281936.7VNl89jVkd@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<CAMxLOn1RkfdErwYFGzw=AAUBjL4t_Bod3=czTg-TkS1Zbv=e3Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello,

On Monday, June 1, 2020 2:19:52 AM MDT Daniel Corbe wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:16 AM Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Monday, June 1, 2020 12:08:35 AM MDT Oliver Smith wrote:
> > > Great idea, I'm definitively interested!
> > >
> > > I would strongly prefer if we could use a free software tool for the
> > > conference though.
> >
> > It is our intention to use libre software for producing the conference.
> > But we are still quite early in the planning process.  If anyone has
> > technical suggestions for producing the conference, it would be helpful
> > to share them with us.
> >
> > Ariadne
>
> Does the project have an official Youtube or Twitch channel?
> Presenters can use OBS, which is free and open source software and
> makes short work of doing screen captures for broadcasting.  From
> there, you can turn any Youtube livestream into just a regular youtube
> video.  I realize Youtube isn't exactly the freest platform in the
> world; however,  its audience reach is unparalleled; and I'm sure
> everyone here has watched youtube livestreams and VODs before.

The plan is to stream it to both Youtube and Twitch as well as our own open
streaming platform instance, I think.  The main issue around production is
taking the individual streams and combining them into a single unified program,
but I suspect that OBS can probably be used to combine streams somehow.  I
just haven't ever tried it before, so I don't know the details.

I do know that there are things which can consume an RTMP stream and
redistribute it to Twitch, Youtube and other platforms, so that's just a
matter of packaging up something and getting it deployed somewhere.  We're a
few months out still, so I suspect we can figure that part out trivially
between now and then.

Ariadne
Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com>
<CAHwjr34yZASemwcHSjkdR2w5_BNeic43+5WExTq5Mg+AKxcbsg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<3281936.7VNl89jVkd@localhost> (view parent)
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:37 AM Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Monday, June 1, 2020 2:19:52 AM MDT Daniel Corbe wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:16 AM Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org>
>
> wrote:

> > > It is our intention to use libre software for producing the
> conference.
> > > But we are still quite early in the planning process.  If anyone has
> > > technical suggestions for producing the conference, it would be helpful
> > > to share them with us.
> > >
> > > Ariadne
> >
> > Does the project have an official Youtube or Twitch channel?
> > Presenters can use OBS, which is free and open source software and
> > makes short work of doing screen captures for broadcasting.  From
> > there, you can turn any Youtube livestream into just a regular youtube
> > video.  I realize Youtube isn't exactly the freest platform in the
> > world; however,  its audience reach is unparalleled; and I'm sure
> > everyone here has watched youtube livestreams and VODs before.
>
> The plan is to stream it to both Youtube and Twitch as well as our own
> open
> streaming platform instance, I think.  The main issue around production is
> taking the individual streams and combining them into a single unified
> program,
> but I suspect that OBS can probably be used to combine streams somehow.  I
> just haven't ever tried it before, so I don't know the details.
>
> I do know that there are things which can consume an RTMP stream and
> redistribute it to Twitch, Youtube and other platforms, so that's just a
> matter of packaging up something and getting it deployed somewhere.  We're
> few months out still, so I suspect we can figure that part out trivially
> between now and then.

I've found nginx to be a solid tool to accept an RTMP stream and either
forward to another RTMP destination, to rewrite as an HLS stream to allow a
player of choice to play the stream, or to send to a transcoding tool.
Only real constraint is on bandwidth, depending on quality of the stream
and number of concurrent viewers.  For a live streaming service to a few
hundred viewers at a time, at a quality up to around 720P, any recent
hardware will do the trick just fine.

--
Jeff
Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com>