Alpine installer firmare detection

<20210108140340.896c426b55e35994d57dee18@gmail.com>

I'd like to suggest a possible improvement to the Alpine installer.
Alpine installs quite a bit of firmware and, after the instalation, I have to get rid of most of it.
Debian installer has a nice script by which it detects and allows to install only the firmware which is really needed.
It works remarkably well, and I haven't found such feature on any other distro.
I think it'd be cool to see this implemented on Alpine, in keeping with the minimalistic approach.
Milan P. Stanić <mps@arvanta.net>
<X/jrS/FxaWb+YZQt@arya.arvanta.net>
In-Reply-To
<20210108140340.896c426b55e35994d57dee18@gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 2021-01-08 at 14:03, antoniompini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to suggest a possible improvement to the Alpine installer.
> Alpine installs quite a bit of firmware and, after the instalation, I have to get rid of most of it.
> Debian installer has a nice script by which it detects and allows to install only the firmware which is really needed.
> It works remarkably well, and I haven't found such feature on any other distro.
> I think it'd be cool to see this implemented on Alpine, in keeping with the minimalistic approach.

something like this:
modinfo `lsmod | grep -v Module | awk -e '{ print $1 }'` | grep ^firmware

and search which of linux-firmware-$name contains them
<CAEuRe+13UsKRyBU0AfeST7gfESvsMLiMMKC_uJfSH9tKJHaS9w@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<X/jrS/FxaWb+YZQt@arya.arvanta.net> (view parent)
On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 5:31 PM Milan P. Stanić <mps@arvanta.net> wrote:

> modinfo `lsmod | grep -v Module | awk -e '{ print $1 }'` | grep ^firmware

Or:
modinfo -F firmware $(awk '{print $1}' /proc/modules)

 - Jeff
<20210120102516.7ad1d21e@ncopa-desktop.lan>
In-Reply-To
<20210108140340.896c426b55e35994d57dee18@gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 14:03:40 -0800
antoniompini <antoniompini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to suggest a possible improvement to the Alpine installer.
> Alpine installs quite a bit of firmware and, after the instalation, I have to get rid of most of it.
> Debian installer has a nice script by which it detects and allows to install only the firmware which is really needed.
> It works remarkably well, and I haven't found such feature on any other distro.
> I think it'd be cool to see this implemented on Alpine, in keeping with the minimalistic approach.

yes. This should be relatively straightforward to implement. I didn't
have time for the 3.13 release though. (I did start on it though)

I suggest that you create an issue for it.

<20210120094757.73313edb8f576865ce3c7bd3@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20210120102516.7ad1d21e@ncopa-desktop.lan> (view parent)
I will. Thanks for your answer and the good work on Alpine.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)