Subject: Moderation in IRC channels

From: Ariadne Conill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 19:47:34 -0600

Hello,

Lately we have had some moderation issues in #alpine-linux which result from 
the current moderators of that channel being in Europe time.

It would behoove us to add additional folks with moderation access to the 
channels, so we can deal with this 24x7.

In the interim, it has been suggested to add the freenode-staff user to the 
access lists so that they can assist in moderation issues as well.

How do we move forward on this?

Ariadne

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 11:37:20 +0200

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 19:47:34 -0600

> channels, so we can deal with this 24x7.

Agree. this is urgent.

> How do we move forward on this?

Any suggestions? I would like to have someone with social skills, who
is neutral, and who is not afraid of set up and say enough is enough
when needed. Preferable someone with a history without too much
conflicts.

I suggest programmerq, who said this on IRC:

> <programmerq> I know I don't participate in the actual alpine
> development stuff, but I've been an op on another channel for several
> years. Adding #alpine-linux to my list of stuff to keep an eye on would
> be trivial.

Another candidate would be Ariadne, who I know is not afraid of take
action when needed, but I'm worried that Ariadne may not be seen as a
neutral participant.

-nc

---

From: Ariadne Conill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 13:21:04 -0600

Hello,

On Friday, June 12, 2020 3:37:20 AM MDT Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Lately we have had some moderation issues in #alpine-linux which result
> > from the current moderators of that channel being in Europe time.
> > 

I mean, in general I don't think our code of conduct requires any serious 
ideological commitment, it basically boils down to "don't be a dick."  So, 
really anyone who is willing to moderate and is level-headed would be good.

> > years. Adding #alpine-linux to my list of stuff to keep an eye on would

programmerq would be a good start I think.  He seems pretty level headed.

> action when needed, but I'm worried that Ariadne may not be seen as a

I'm not particularly interested in handling day to day moderation in alpine 
channels as I do not have the time or energy to deal with that, but would be 
willing to act as an emergency point of contact as I am doing right now 
anyway.  It would just be desirable to have more tools available than waiting 
for the behaviour to get to the point where freenode is obligated to intervene 
due to their own ToS being violated.

In general, I think all Alpine developers (as in those who have developer 
privileges, e.g. can push packages without review) should be able to op 
themselves in an emergency, even if they do not handle day to day moderation.  
That would go a long way, I think.

Ariadne