Subject: [alpine-devel] Bootstrap rust on Alpine ppc64le

From: Roberto Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:35:17 -0200

Hi,

I'm trying to bootstrap rust on Alpine ppc64le and I saw that Jirutka and Shiz
did the bootstrap on Alpine x86_64, so maybe they or anyone can help me.

I saw the thread[1] about bootstraping rust on Alpine x86_64 and the gist that
Japaric created [2].
I created a target for "powerpc64le_unknown_linux_musl" and added it to rust
(tag 1.20.0). I used the script provided by Japaric in an Ubuntu ppc64le
container and the musl cross built successfully. However when building rust, it
fails with error:

Building stage1 compiler artifacts (powerpc64le-unknown-linux-gnu ->
powerpc64le-unknown-linux-musl)
error: cannot produce dylib for `rustdoc v0.0.0
(file:///home/rustbuild/rust/src/librustdoc)` as the target
`powerpc64le-unknown-linux-musl` does not support these crate types

I saw that PR[3] added support for dynamic linking with musl, so I tried to
build rust 'master' branch, that contains these patches, but it is failing with
the same error.

I also tried to add "base.dynamic_linking = true" in
src/librustc_back/target/linux_musl_base.rs as suggested in [4], but didn't work
too.

Any idea what I can do to fix/workaround this error?

Regards,
Roberto Oliveira

--
[1] - https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/31322
[2] - https://gist.github.com/japaric/52b8816a4c86f5a4699bcc50ebc3e020
[3] - https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/40113
[4] - https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/40113#issuecomment-323193341

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:10:15 +0200

This also reminds me that we still don't have rust for x86, armhf or
aarch64.

Jakub, do you know what the status is of bootstrapping rust for other
arches?

Do you think it is realistic to have rust available for any arch more
than x86_64 for alpine v3.7?

I think it would be nice if we could have atleast one more arch in
addition to x86_64

-nc

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:35:17 -0200

---