Subject: [alpine-devel] Vserver

From: Harry Lachanas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:52:57 +0200

Hi all

I am trying to start a vserver on debian etch with the stuff I've 
downloaded from 1.9.0 ( initial ) ...

But  some how I am not able to ...

The vserver scripts that come with debian insist on downloading 
debootstrap and install a debian image ... :-(

Any hint will be much appreciated ..

Thanks
Harry.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:29:09 +0100

> debootstrap and install a debian image ... :-(

alternatives:
1. You could use alpine-1.8.x as vserver host

2. the alpine util-vserver package contains a subdir
called /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/alpine that you could just
extract from the 1.8.x apk and copy to your etch server. (iirc i did so
on a debian box here with success)

then you need a template taball which we unfortunally dont have.

Can be created from an 1.9.0 env like this:

sudo apk add --initdb --root /new alpine-baselayout
cd /new
sudo tar -czf ../alpine-template.tar.gz *

I did one for youe and uploaded here:
http://dev.alpinelinux.org/~ncopa/alpine/alpine-vserver-template-20090304.tar.gz

Then you use this template with:
 ... -m template -- -t /path/to/alpine-vserver-template-20090304.tar.gz -d alpine

as explained here:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Setting_up_a_basic_vserver#Setting_up_the_guest

---

---

From: Harry Lachanas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:20:41 +0200

> 1. You could use alpine-1.8.x as vserver host
OK, but how to start the all-ready installed  debian messy system on HD ????

> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Setting_up_a_basic_vserver#Setting_up_the_guest
That was great !!!
Thanks NC ...!!!

however ssh - ing into vserver ( ip 10.128.0.1 ) got me in to the host 
server ( debian ) ...
nmap  showed a bunch of ports open ( debian host services  ports ) ....

What if  dropbear was installed and started in the vserver ???

Thanks

Harry

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:58:43 +0100

> Natanael Copa wrote:

...

> What if  dropbear was installed and started in the vserver ???

the host and all vservers must set the listen address for services
rather than bind to */0.0.0.0

This is due to vserver does not virtualize the network stack. the guests
and the host all share the same network stack. benefits: native speed,
low on resources. drawbacks: you must specify bind address.

I think there are a feature that will auto bind 0.0.0.0 to first ip
address of guest or similar, but i didnt turn that one on.

-nc

---