Subject: [alpine-devel] Bug in fetchmail-6.3.8-r2

From: aalatchm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:51:26 -0400

Developers,

When using fetchmail-6.3.8-r2 (the newest available) on alpine-1.7.28.1 
081209, fetchmail does not properly handle the 'fetchall' keyword in a 
fetchmailrc file. It seems to leave "viewed" messages on the remote 
server. However, using the /-a/ command-line option (which, according to 
the man page, is equivalent to 'fetchall') fetchmail gets the "viewed" 
messages as expected. The following are excerpts of the fetchmail 
command output:

#  fetchmail -vv --nosyslog -f /etc/fetchmailrc
...
7 messages for [email-masked] at SERVER.DOMAIN.NET (301242 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 6696
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server SERVER.DOMAIN.NET.
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from 
[email-masked]@SERVER.DOMAIN.NET
...
# fetchmail -vv --nosyslog -a -f /etc/fetchmailrc
7 messages for [email-masked] at SERVER.DOMAIN.NET (301242 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 6696
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 6696 octets
reading message [email-masked]@SERVER.DOMAIN.NET:1 of 7 (6696 octets)
...
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok: queued as 72B855008E
 flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Marked to be deleted.
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2 2606
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2606 octets
...[etc. for the rest of the messages]

-aalatchm

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: aalatchm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:32:29 -0400

Developers:

aalatchm wrote:
>
> When using fetchmail-6.3.8-r2 (the newest available) on 
> alpine-1.7.28.1 081209, fetchmail does not properly handle the 
> 'fetchall' keyword in a fetchmailrc file. It seems to leave "viewed" 
> messages on the remote server. However, using the /-a/ command-line 
> option (which, according to the man page, is equivalent to 'fetchall') 
> fetchmail gets the "viewed" messages as expected. The following are 
> excerpts of the fetchmail command output:
[snip]

Actually, It turns out that this was not a bug in fetchmail. 
Investigation of the errors and the link 
http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html#R6 
<http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html#R6> showed that 
the problem was a path-MTU issue which caused the fetchmail to hang. 
Problem has now been solved.

-aalatchm

---