Subject: [alpine-devel] vserver

From: Harry Lachanas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:08:27 +0300

I wonder
a) if possible to achive networking  ( any kernel issues here  ??) on 
vserver  and vhosts using bridges ( like  xen,  openvz  )
b) If anybody succeded doing it ?

Vserver networking IMHO is not the best you can get ...

Immediately after I installed vs and vhost and ssh on both .. I crashed 
into this

http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#When_I_try_to_ssh_to_the_guest.2C_I_log_into_the_host.2C_even_if_I_installed_sshd_on_the_guest._What.27s_wrong_here.3F

( my luck I guess ;-) )

Regards
Harry

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:07:57 +0000

> vserver  and vhosts using bridges ( like  xen,  openvz  )

no becuase xen an openvz provides a virtual network stack for the
guests (with xen the guest needs another kernel with network stack).
The network interface in guest is the same network interface on host.

well... that means that you can create a bridge on the host and assign
it to the guest, but the problem here is that the guest and host share
the network interface.

> Vserver networking IMHO is not the best you can get ...

depends on how you define "best". if you mean flexible (as in each
guest can run its own firewall) then you are right. If you mean use
less resources (speedier and less memory) then vserver is the best. :)

> http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#When_I_try_to_ssh_to_the_guest.2C_I_log_into_the_host.2C_even_if_I_installed_sshd_on_the_guest._What.27s_wrong_here.3F

yeah... you are right. networking might be slightly tricky since the
guests shares the network with host. Think chroot. If you have got the
guest running and you run "ip addr" on host you will see that the
guests ip addesses is assigned to the hosts network interface. Again.
think the guest as a chroot more than a virtual machine.

That said, the newer kernels does have some nice tricks to hide the
problem with 0.0.0.0 address binding and loopback.

I even think they have done some attempt to create virtual network
stacks for the guests in recent kernels. I havent tested those though.

What do you run on your vserver host? kernel version?

I'm working on setting up a compile server for alpine and I need to
have vserver with recent kernel on that one. (actually working on it
as we speak)

-- 
Natanael Copa

---

---

From: Harry Lachanas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:22:43 +0300

> have vserver with recent kernel on that one. (actually working on it
The kernel problem appears on the vserver site
the most recent stable kernel is 2.6.22.19.  which I am also downloading 
and building it in debian right now.
Kinda slow I think ( almost like debian :-) ) ...

thanks,
Harry

---