Re: Proposed system change: ifupdown-ng as default network device manager

<4b92ee5b-9452-e319-5029-91d60ca95add@dereferenced.org>
Hello,

On 2020-08-24 01:55, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 18:51:44 -0600
> Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:
>
>>> Maybe we can solve it with dependencies and provides instead, with
>>> ifupdown-ng with the highest priority.
>>
>> I have no objection to making it a direct dependency of openrc at
>> release time.
>

> How about we do something like this. We make 3 different packages with
> provides=ifupdown:
>
> ifupdown-ng (highes provides_priority)
> ifupdown-debian
> ifupdown-none
>
> then we let openrc depend=ifupdown. This way users would get
> ifupdown-ng by default, but can be easily be swapped out by either
> ifupdown-debian or ifupdown-none (which is to be installed for busybox
> ifupdown).

That satisfies the goals for 3.13 release, I think.  I will do it in the
0.8.1 package later today.

Ariadne

Re: Proposed system change: ifupdown-ng as default network device manager

Nathan Angelacos <nangel@alpinelinux.org>
<063af85d3d32f55476810245c64a869fc22a291d.camel@alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<4b92ee5b-9452-e319-5029-91d60ca95add@dereferenced.org> (view parent)
Hey,

I know this is an old thread, but just want to report in.  This is my
personal opinion, and just one data point.  Take it for what it is
worth.

Ariadne- I want to explicitly state that I have *no* problem with
moving to ifupdown-ng.

---

The good - yes, ifupdown-ng does everything Alpine 3.12 does.

The bad - I admit my network has cancer.  So.   I think I'm a pretty
good candidate for several edge cases out there. I have(had) a home-
baked HE-style ipv6 tunnel; multiple openvpn (ipv4/ipv6) tunnels;
nhrp/rip/ospf[*] dhcpd-pd; wireguard; MACsec; wifi; wifi+babel;
powerline; wifi+mesh+powerline... you name it, it is somewhere here.

Basically, ifupdown-ng (as documented in the wiki) "works out of the
tin" - except "when you don't have a tin", or "your tin looks more like
a klein bottle"

Action item:  Documentation

A number of the wiki pages talk about things like
bonding/bridging/routing; and I think we are going to need to update
those pages.

It all works... but it works in different ways.

I'll be happy to work on the wiki pages to document "The new way to do
it is...."   But I'd like some confirmation that's the right way to go.

A) We document "The way it was with busybox", but now we use "ifupdown-
ng"

B) We delete the busybox stuff and replace with ifupdown-ng

C) We leave both side-by side, and explain how you can install either.

D) We do nothing

E) ????

(And again ... Specifically to Ariadne- once I groked the -ng thing...
Seriously - its cool.   LOVE IT!)
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)