Subject: Fwd: Re: [alpine-devel] [Alpine 2.4] Network Interface Hotplugging Detection

From: Der Tiger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 11:52:16 +0100

ReHi Natanael,

> From the man page:
> 
>      static value
>              Configures a static value.  If you set ip_address then
>      dhcpcd will not attempt to obtain a lease and just use the value
>      for the address with an infinite lease time.
> 
>              Here is an example which configures a static address,
>              routes and dns.
>                    interface eth0
>                    static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
>                    static routers=192.168.0.1
>                    static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1
While dhcpcd accepts multiple static ip_address statements, only the
last statement prevails nullifying all previous statements. Therefore, I
see no way to use dhcpcd to assign more than one ip address to a single
interface.

> Looks like it also has some support for ipv6. I dont know about static.
dhcpcd in deed has IPv6 RA (router advertisement) and RS (router
solicitation) capability for SLAAC (stateless address autoconfiguration)
implemented. This can be used to assign an IPv6 address to a local
interface with the help of an DHCPv6 server, that can even be installed
on the same machine utilizing local interfacing (localhost).

The IPv6 implementation of dhcpcd allows only a single IPv6 address per
interface. Furthermore, it is a highly unstructured (and therefore
unrecommended) way to assign the IPv4 address to an interface using a
static statement in /etc/dhcpcd.conf and retriving an IPv6 address for
the same interface through IPv6 RS/RA as part of the configuration of a
DHCP server.

Regards, Tiger

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 16:28:56 +0100

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 11:52:16 +0100
Der Tiger <[email-masked]> wrote:

> last statement prevails nullifying all previous statements.
> Therefore, I see no way to use dhcpcd to assign more than one ip
> address to a single interface.

...
 
> The IPv6 implementation of dhcpcd allows only a single IPv6 address
> per interface. Furthermore, it is a highly unstructured (and therefore
> the same interface through IPv6 RS/RA as part of the configuration of
> a DHCP server.

Thanks for clarifying. Also, I'd also guess that when using static ip
is a case when you don't want the ip address removed when cable is
unplugged.

-nc

---