Subject: [alpine-devel] [Alpine 2.5rc1] Memory error compiling OWFS

From: Der Tiger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 09:57:08 +0100

Hi,

After upgrading my VirtualBox virtual Alpine development system to
today's most recent kernel 3.6.4, dated Oct 31st, the exactly same
source code of OWFS version 2.8p20 (http://www.owfs.org/) I could
compile without a hitch on kernel 3.4.13 of Alpine 2.4, causes a memory
leak during conftest:

Nov  4 09:01:18 alpine-devel kern.err kernel: [ 1048.021002] PAX: From
192.168.16.209: execution attempt in: <anonymous mapping>,
761acd5a3000-761acd5c4000 7ffffffde000
Nov  4 09:01:18 alpine-devel kern.err kernel: [ 1048.021010] PAX:
terminating task:
/home/Tiger/aports/testing/ow-2.8p20-r1/src/owfs-2.8p20/conftest(conftest):2132,
uid/euid: 1000/1000, PC: 0000761acd5c3570, SP: 0000761acd5c3538
Nov  4 09:01:18 alpine-devel kern.err kernel: [ 1048.021014] PAX: bytes
at PC: 49 bb 94 a7 de f4 ec 0c 00 00 49 ba 6c 35 5c cd 1a 76 00 00
Nov  4 09:01:18 alpine-devel kern.err kernel: [ 1048.021032] PAX: bytes
at SP-8: 0000000000000000 00000cecf4dea7df 0000000000000000
e754fa7cedd236e2 0000000000000000 00000cecf4dea64e 0000000000000000
0000000000000000 0cecf4dea794bb49 cd5c356cba490000 90e3ff490000761a
Nov  4 09:01:18 alpine-devel kern.alert kernel: [ 1048.021087] grsec:
>From 192.168.16.209: denied resource overstep by requesting 4096 for
RLIMIT_CORE against limit 0 for
/home/Tiger/aports/testing/ow-2.8p20-r1/src/owfs-2.8p20/conftest[conftest:2132]
uid/euid:1000/1000 gid/eg

I didn't change anything, but upgraded the Alpine system via 'apk -U
upgrade' after modifying /etc/apk/repositories to point to version 2.5,
and updating the local copy of the GIT repository. The error is
reproducible even on upgraded, older, verified to be working versions of
the virtual development system using backups of the virtual disk.

At this stage I can't tell what the problem exactly is, but first checks
indicate a problem with one or more libraries including uClibc. I
wouldn't even rule out the problem to be sitting between the keyboard
and the monitor ;-) .

Please, don't misunderstand, I don't want you to go looking for my
problem's solution on the few data supplied! I only want to convey the
information of potential problems with the most recent kernel version.

Regard, Tiger

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---