Subject: [alpine-devel] Anyone successfully running DDNS for IPv6 addresses with dhcpd -6 and named on Alpine?

From: Der Tiger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 17:03:44 +0200

Hi,

I've been tinkering with a dual stack configuration (IPv4 parallel IPv6)
on Alpine 2.7 for quite some time and with some help of our "friend"
G00gle nearly everything is running smoothly. IPv4 addresses issued by
dhcpd are automatically updated (DDNS) in the BIND database and dhcpd -6
with the aid of radvd hands out IPv6 addresses (all that happens on the
same machine). The only problem I ran into and wasn't able to fix, so
far, was the DDNS update of IPv6 addresses in the BIND database.

On my system, there is only one common DDNS configuration for both,
dhcpd and dhcpd -6, and I'm sure all keys are set-up correctly. As
mentioned, DDNS works for IPv4 addresses, but dhcpd -6 doesn't update
anything after an IPv6 address is issued. I mean, it doesn't send
anything to either port 53 (DNS) or port 953 (named's control port) or
through interface "lo" at all, as I've verified with tcpdump. I've found
a number of configuration examples of people successfully running dual
stacks on Debian and Ubuntu. Of course, I've tweaked my system's config
to match their (apparently) working config, but no matter what I try,
the problem remains. Even enabling dhcpd's debug info didn't yield any
additional information, like error messages, and the firewall doesn't
hinder any communication between those two daemons. It looks like dhcpd
-6 just doesn't talk to named.

Since users seem to have got DDNS working on other systems and I
therefore want to make sure the problem isn't related to Alpine in any
way, I'd like to ask if anyone has currently DDNS working with IPv6
addresses on an Alpine system?

Cheers, Tiger

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---