Subject: [alpine-devel] lxc-create and mkfs

From: Timo Ketola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 16:41:07 +0200

Hi,

I just tried to create ubuntu lxc container:

> lxc-create -l DEBUG -o lxc-log -n trusty -t ubuntu -B lvm --vgname vg0 -- -d

and got this in log:

> lxc-create 1414851260.358 ERROR    bdev - Error creating filesystem type ext3 on /dev/vg0/trusty

Checking with lxc sources I saw that lxc tried to use mkfs and I don't 
have it. I don't find a package which would contain mkfs. Is there one 
or is this a compatibility problem?

I got forward by making a symlink mkfs->mke2fs

--

Timo

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 00:05:50 +0100

On 1 November 2014 15:41, Timo Ketola <[email-masked]> wrote:

> have it. I don't find a package which would contain mkfs. Is there one or
> is this a compatibility problem?
>

mkfs is part of util-linux. I remember we discussed this before on IRC to
create a subpkg for lxc like lxc-lvm which would have util-linux in depends.

---

From: Timo Ketola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:08:50 +0200

On 03.11.2014 01:05, Carlo Landmeter wrote:
> mkfs is part of util-linux.

Ah, thanks!

Is there a way to search for a program or file in not-yet-installed
packages?

> I remember we discussed this before on IRC to create a subpkg for lxc
> like lxc-lvm which would have util-linux in depends.

That certainly sounds like a good idea.

--

Timo

---

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 10:31:04 +0100

> Is there a way to search for a program or file in not-yet-installed

No not yet, also this has been discussed before. For now I always use
http://packages.ubuntu.com to search for files.

> That certainly sounds like a good idea.

I just checked git, and if you run 3.x or edge, lxc-lvm should already be
available.

---

From: Timo Ketola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 12:00:30 +0200

On 03.11.2014 11:31, Carlo Landmeter wrote:
> 
> On 3 November 2014 07:08, Timo Ketola <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 

Great advice, thankyou! I have not realized that tool even though I have
used Ubuntu quite a while.

I suppose that you use the tool to get only hints about possible
packages, though. I imagine that the relationship between Alpine and
Ubuntu packages can't be strictly 1 to 1. Do developers intentionally
follow Ubuntu packaging to some extent?

> I just checked git, and if you run 3.x or edge, lxc-lvm should already
> be available.

Goog to know, thanks.

--

Timo

---