Subject: [alpine-devel] Bootable usb (vfat) local cache packages are not installed after reboot!

From: HL <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:55:24 +0300

Hi list,

I haven't been around that much, but since I've seen some goodies, I 
would like to give them a try!

I booted from cdrom and made a bootable flash ( setup-bootable ).

So far so good.

However creating a local cache  with setup-apkcache

on usb (/media/usb/local-cache and softlink to /etc/apk/cache )  for 
upgrading and installing my developed packages I discovered that after 
each reboot the packages are not installed/upgraded to the ones that 
reside within the usb cache dir.

For instance

apk update
apk upgrade
downloads a bunch of upgrades but after a reboot the newest packages are 
not installed!

I ask for your help based on your experience since my test machine is on 
a remote site, thus I have no clue of what the boot-screen messages are!

Regards,
Harry Lachanas

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Nathan Angelacos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 14:17:06 -0400

> downloads a bunch of upgrades but after a reboot the newest packages are

try:

apk update
apk upgrade
apk cache sync
<reboot>

http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Local_APK_cache#Cache_maintenance

Remember, Alpine Linux is the equivalent of a 5-speed manual car. 
Nothing automatic here. Well -  we have power-steering, but you have to 
install it yourself. :)

---

---

From: Timo Teras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:16:52 +0300

Hi,

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:55:24 +0300
HL <[email-masked]> wrote:

> upgrading and installing my developed packages I discovered that
> after each reboot the packages are not installed/upgraded to the ones
> that reside within the usb cache dir.
> 
> For instance
> 
> apk update
> apk upgrade
> downloads a bunch of upgrades but after a reboot the newest packages
> are not installed!
> 
> I ask for your help based on your experience since my test machine is
> on a remote site, thus I have no clue of what the boot-screen
> messages are!

I believe the issue is that the boot media mount point name during
boot stage is different from what it is when running.

I think the setup-bootable now sets alpine_dev=UUID=<uuid>:vfat and
causes the disk mounted at /media/UUID=<uuid> during boot. If fstab
happens to have the mount point named /media/usb they'll mismatch.
Change boot parameter to alpine_dev=usbdisk:xxx or remove the fstab
entry so that the boot media is kept in /media/UUID=<uuid> (and repoint
the /etc/apk/cache there).

This apparently is a mismatch with the initramfs scripts, and the
setup-bootable script. And needs to be fixed somewhere. Either making
the boot device naming consistent. Or making initramfs script repoint
apk cache to the correct place during boot.

Thanks,
Timo

---