Subject: [alpine-devel] Adding ~/.bin to the default path

From: Leo Unglaub <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 15:33:55 +0200

Hey friends,
i think it would be a good idea to add ~/.bin to the default PATH 
variable. That way users directly have a directory that they can use for 
there own scripts. In OpenBSD the folder ~./bin is included by default 
but i would prefer to have the folder to be hidden by default.

> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:~/.bin

What is your opinion on that?
Greetings
Leo

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: 7heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 23:33:38 +0000

I'd rather have ~/bin than ~/.bin. If you want to "hide" your scripts you can put/link them in /usr/local/bin.

On Mon May 30 15:33:55 2016 GMT+0200, Leo Unglaub wrote:
>'���r��y�i�w�z����칻�&ޖ+-��i�w��{���zZZ���yׯz_�zZe��ljZb��b��h�

---

From: Bartłomiej Piotrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 17:59:37 +0200

And then someone will want to include ~/.local/bin as well. And why not 
~/.local/opt/bin too while we're on it?

Simply add it locally. Nothing to do here distribution-wise.

Bartłomiej

---

---

From: Leo Unglaub <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 23:31:58 +0200

Hey,

 > Simply add it locally. Nothing to do here distribution-wise.

well, i don't think that multiple locations in the home directory are 
needed by default. But one location for user scripts would make a good 
default. If we name it ~/.bin or ~/bin is not that relevant. Thats up to 
ncopa as the technical lead of Alpine.

Maybe i want to change my first email and also vote for ~/bin since its 
the value that OpenBSD uses and that way it would be similar.

Greetings
Leo

---

---

From: Led <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 22:08:53 +0300

> > PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:~/.bin

Hidden dir for nice home exploits?
Good joke :)

-- 
___
Led

---

---

From: Leo Unglaub <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 23:35:02 +0200

Hey,

On 05/30/16 21:08, Led wrote:
> Good joke:)

it was not meant as a joke. I have no idea what attack vector you use 
but "home exploits" via evil hidden folder are kind of non existing. 
Thats the kind of attack that happens when people dont understand how IT 
security works. Because no one cares about a hidden folder. If someone 
gets write access to your home directory you have far bitter problems 
that a hidden rm -rf / file.

Exploits usually happen on a deeper level than hidden folders.

Greetings
Leo

---

---

From: Łukasz Jendrysik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 23:40:16 +0200

On 05/30/2016 11:31 PM, Leo Unglaub wrote:
> default. If we name it ~/.bin or ~/bin is not that relevant. Thats up
> to ncopa as the technical lead of Alpine.

Still you can to the same locally. I really doubt anyone will like this
idea.

> Maybe i want to change my first email and also vote for ~/bin since
> its the value that OpenBSD uses and that way it would be similar.
>

Since when Alpine is OpenBSD?

---