Subject: [alpine-devel] Projects / work groups / lightweight organisation for Alpine

From: "A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 22:17:10 -0500

Hi there Alpinists,

I was thinking that as Alpine has grown, it may be time to consider
making some simple projects (or reconsider, having seen
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Wishlist as an unofficial idea /
proposal from two years ago).  One great thing that I have seen from
my work with other distros such as Fedora and Gentoo is that people
are excited to join projects because it means something personal to
them, even more than the distro itself.

Projects do not really need to be so formal.  Having an official wiki
page and a way for the project leads to add people to the list would
be enough.  This could also work in a way such as the Linux kernel
itself does: people in a project contribute to the project lead, who
then has the commit rights to Alpine itself.  Good contributors that
show skill and commitment can then be given commit rights too,
bringing more official developers to Alpine.

Some of the projects that could be created include:

* Perl (and Python, and Lua, etc)

Having a dedicated team of people who care about a language would
ensure that the language and its available libraries are packaged
correctly and maintained nicely.  There would be a central group to
poke if there is an improvement opportunity in apkbuild-cpan or such.

* Clang

I know that Shiz was working on building all packages using Clang
instead of GCC.  Having a project would give more visibility to this
endeavour, possibly attract more people to help, and give a central
place on the wiki for information about it.

* Documentation

The people here can be dedicated to improving the wiki and keeping it
updated.  Having a central place for all the TODOs and things that can
be fixed can help motivate people to want to accomplish them.  They
can also monitor the IRC channel and/or mailing list and see what
people ask frequently, then write documentation about it.

* Licenses

This one may not need to be a permanent project so much as a work
group or temporary project.  There are a number of odd entries in
APKBUILD files for license= and it would be good to clean them up.
I'd like to help, but I'm not sure where to start, and would like to
work as a team to fix the entire tree.  (Some just say "GPL" without
the version, there are a few that even simply say "open source"!)
This desire to gather people together and crack a problem as a
community is actually what led me to this idea and writing this email.

There are of course more, but those three stand out to me.  And as I
said, it doesn't have to be so formal.  Make some wiki pages and
write: "if anyone is interested in contributing to these, let us know!"

Thank you for your consideration.

All the best,
- --arw

- -- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
http://adelielinux.org

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:01:34 -0700

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 22:17:10 -0500
"A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA256
> 
> Hi there Alpinists,
> 

...

> * Perl (and Python, and Lua, etc)

...
 
> * Clang

...
 
> * Documentation

...

> * Licenses

...

> write: "if anyone is interested in contributing to these, let us know!"

I think this is a good idea and I support it.

-nc

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2
> 
> iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJZllwqAAoJEMspy1GSK50Utm4P/R5wsOsqwdt2hmPrDyYUdi0D
> lrZ0/Y+jAdw+Vd4WWS6CwxpH7FRXj1faFuiikIubg4q9bTXgawd9v/PK7PXSrBIm
> jXyxrS2ahg0z5Mx43gHmI9ZdqbghmUHf5f2m5WwlyXK7k8/AAjD9OqAgY8mdqNT4
> DDgft1sNTKsipC+n+n3TYZ4y9mOp4NOQZbdi6QtgMXZkRwGwFwkWYzLg9Du0/jjl
> AECTWpF6XvQpTTLIlArQP1O9mQyi5lmtOfGqb9myZWU9Lh7mb5JUJ8oiB3ZtRFxP
> 8nheZZ5/NBu2fe65HMSVM+AnPNm0yk4SUkQyMO0i+0fUKEJsNZBiSaAhR0W6t/1s
> zoT0yQ094QS/1/HpJQSjiH9j67us9OVtp2cjZIDE46ERD/8zsgzwd70QTNJFZxyi
> 4EvI+eL1DTNmo4cpiqAUQoeZ9hD/KuUaDV/3GRxmxif538Jr18NqzXEpGSL3/GDR
> tYVzI1hX6Yx538F9Op34XhgtBRe0PffbZr+erYNC1SYDLFyXsrIRWwKtMaRNZq4B
> HorigCwAVP+KreJmuq+DvqG+lACITbQ7PZn1HTy/MbMIQGK/PwMfOEYnqH0nnTlK
> VFYZ6yBUrVpyJ1Sh0/U3r+aWCVlb0sxUFR0G958SYq/zmkL3ToO1kIiVspk1d0re
> 0uNJ4VRWjh75jE/SVDTn
> =W/kH
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 
> 
> ---

---