Subject: [alpine-devel] Post-3.7 things to do?

From: "A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 02:35:06 -0600

Hi there Alpinists,

This is just a list of things that I have noticed that I don't want to
forget about, but are not important enough to hold up 3.7.

Let's discuss.

===

GCC's makedepends is broken.  gcc-gnat is not listed, so when we run
`abuild -R` on a new arch that has just been bootstrapped, it prints:

configure: error: GNAT is required to build ada

Of course the bootstrap gcc has gcc-gnat and `apk add gcc-gnat` fixes
it, but I think the dependency should be more explicit.

===

linux-vanilla's description for -dev package says grsec.  It should
say vanilla.

===

I'm sure you don't want to hear my Python 2 rant, but imagine one here
:)  It'd be really nice to know if there would be support for me
branching off edge and completely scrubbing python2 out of any
packages that I can.  I would like to see py-* packages only built for
python3 unless packages in tree that use them still need python2.  I
would like to see packages that dep on python2 bumped, or patched
upstream if they aren't yet able to be bumped.  I know it seems silly
for someone who plays with 486 chips to want to see something old get
deprecated so much, but Python 2's performance and syntax leave a lot
to be desired.  And Python 3 runs great on the old chips as well as
the new ones.

===

More teamwork about adding test suites would be nice.  We have dozens
of packages that need some help or questions answered before we can
merge them.

===

Fixing the license= mess as discussed earlier on the ML.

===

I would like to see if we can collaborate on bringing up MIPS support
in the toolchain.  If this is possible, then we (at Adélie) would be
happy to do the brunt of the testing as we have the hardware available
to do it.

===

Lastly, it would be very nice to start working on "DISTRO_NAME"
setting in abuild.conf like we spoke about on the list.  If this is
still something Alpine is interested in, I would be willing to work on
it after 3.7 is released (since it touches lots of ports).

Thanks for your time and consideration.  Please do let me know your
opinions, or any further work you would like to see us help out with.

Regards,
- --arw

P.S. spun up a few 3.7-rc2 tests. Looking very nice so far, no issues
to report.

- -- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
http://adelielinux.org

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---