Using APK to get the size of package before install?

Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD <lonnie@outstep.com>
<5b033083-334a-41a3-80e7-94aac33f1544@outstep.com>
Hello All,

I am wondering about the size of Xorg when installed on Alpine and would
like to know if it is possible to get the size, including dependencies,
without installing it?

Am going to be playing with using an Xserver with a remote Linux
Application and wanted to see how much space is needed before hand since
I am mostly running in RAM for these trials.

Thanks in advance,
Lonnie
Patrycja Rosa <patrycja@ptrcnull.me>
<bbc19aad-6ad7-4687-8242-0b95b296a44d@ptrcnull.me>
In-Reply-To
<5b033083-334a-41a3-80e7-94aac33f1544@outstep.com> (view parent)
On 20/02/2024 21:30, Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD wrote:
> I am wondering about the size of Xorg when installed on Alpine and would
> like to know if it is possible to get the size, including dependencies,
> without installing it?

hiya, you can just do `apk add -i somepackage`, that'll give you a brief
summary, including the disk space used after the transaction:
$ doas apk add -i gnome
The following packages will be REMOVED:
	networkmanager polkit polkit-noelogind-libs
	<snip>
After this operation, 219 MiB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
<CAEuRe+2z_c3JeMRXrYc=u0Czfw1Tv0dGRUbcHyTDTwno9-6D5w@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<5b033083-334a-41a3-80e7-94aac33f1544@outstep.com> (view parent)
On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 2:30 PM Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD
<lonnie@outstep.com> wrote:
> I am wondering about the size of Xorg when installed on Alpine and would like to know if it is possible to get the size, including dependencies, without installing it?

If you use the -i option with "apk add" it will give you the download
size and disk space required and ask if you want to proceed. Then you
can just press "N" or Ctrl+C. If you wanted to automate that, you
might try something like:
echo n | apk add -i xorg-server
(or whatever the package name is)

 -- Jeff
Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD <lonnie@outstep.com>
<39c9f049-8a00-418b-ba76-beb0467011db@outstep.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAEuRe+2z_c3JeMRXrYc=u0Czfw1Tv0dGRUbcHyTDTwno9-6D5w@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Thanks so very much for the information on this, Jeff.

You know, I am actually finding Alpine Linux to be a real remarkable OS
the more that I research and use it. I especially like the minimized
distro approach which seems to fit perfectly with my current project.

Best,
Lonnie

On 2/20/2024 4:47 PM, Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 2:30 PM Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD
> <lonnie@outstep.com> wrote:
>> I am wondering about the size of Xorg when installed on Alpine and would like to know if it is possible to get the size, including dependencies, without installing it?
> If you use the -i option with "apk add" it will give you the download
> size and disk space required and ask if you want to proceed. Then you
> can just press "N" or Ctrl+C. If you wanted to automate that, you
> might try something like:
> echo n | apk add -i xorg-server
> (or whatever the package name is)
>
>   -- Jeff