Revisiting alpineconf

<61175fd3-dea4-9ac-f02-cd31c4531c78@dereferenced.org>
Hello all,

Last year a developer's conference was proposed by ncopa, which lead to
exploring the logistics of implementing such a conference.  Unfortunately,
not much effort went into moving forward with the conference because the
GCC 10 and Musl 10.2 transitions kept everyone quite busy.

As those transitions are now completed and 3.14 has been a quite mellow
and uneventful development cycle, I thought it might be nice to revisit
and start implementing the conference.

In the interests of keeping things simple, I propose that we use Gitlab
for the call for papers, as we can just create a repo and have people file
issues against it with their CFP.  This seems to work well for Fedora, so
I am confident we can make it work here, too.

For the conference itself: I suggest a tentative date of May 15 and May
16.  This puts us right after the 3.14 release.  For the video side of
things, I think we could probably reach out to fosshost, who have
some experience running conferences.  That should significantly reduce the
burden on the infra team.

If there is no objection, the first step would be to have the infra team
set up an organization and repo for the CFPs in Gitlab.  Then we can
figure out a more specific timeline from there.

(It is also my interest that there be content from related distributions
in the Alpine world, like postmarketOS and Adelie, if they are interested
in contributing talks, as well as people building projects with Alpine
who want to tell us about it.)

Ariadne
Rasmus Thomsen <oss@cogitri.dev>
<24096CF3-8CCD-4DCC-AA46-6248C35F8603@cogitri.dev>
In-Reply-To
<61175fd3-dea4-9ac-f02-cd31c4531c78@dereferenced.org> (view parent)
Hello,

those dates sound good to me, thanks for working on this.

Regards,

Rasmus

<c87b2012-50ea-303-58e8-c2b7a24e4721@dereferenced.org>

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, Ariadne Conill wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Last year a developer's conference was proposed by ncopa, which lead to
> exploring the logistics of implementing such a conference.  Unfortunately,
> not much effort went into moving forward with the conference because the GCC
> 10 and Musl 10.2 transitions kept everyone quite busy.
>
> As those transitions are now completed and 3.14 has been a quite mellow and
> uneventful development cycle, I thought it might be nice to revisit and start
> implementing the conference.
>
> In the interests of keeping things simple, I propose that we use Gitlab for
> the call for papers, as we can just create a repo and have people file issues
> against it with their CFP.  This seems to work well for Fedora, so I am
> confident we can make it work here, too.
>
> For the conference itself: I suggest a tentative date of May 15 and May 16.
> This puts us right after the 3.14 release.  For the video side of things, I
> think we could probably reach out to fosshost, who have some experience
> running conferences.  That should significantly reduce the burden on the
> infra team.
>
> If there is no objection, the first step would be to have the infra team set
> up an organization and repo for the CFPs in Gitlab.  Then we can figure out a
> more specific timeline from there.
>
> (It is also my interest that there be content from related distributions in
> the Alpine world, like postmarketOS and Adelie, if they are interested in
> contributing talks, as well as people building projects with Alpine who want
> to tell us about it.)

As an update, this repository is now available on Alpine GitLab:
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpineconf-cfp

If anybody is interested in helping with organization, feel free to ping
me in IRC and I'll get you added to the group.

Ariadne
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)