Subject: [alpine-devel] WARNING: do not upgrade udev to 175 and revert if you did

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:13:01 +0100

Hi, 

If you have upgraded to udev-175, then DO NOT REBOOT. run an
'apk upgrade -U -a' and make sure that you get udev-173 back. 

So,
since udev is a critical component for desktop boxes for booting and
hotplugging I asked on IRC if libudev was ABI compatible. While there I
also asked how to detect ABI breakages since normally you can expect
things to break when you upgrade x.y to x+1.y but not when you do x.y+1.
The response was SONAME (that I normally check when I upgrade critical
libs) I did checkthe SONAME and verified that the upgrade should not
break Xorg etc. Then I pushed the udev upgrade to edge. 

Today I
rebooted the boxes that got upgraded and guess what, they don't boot!
And guess why... They moved /sbin/udevd to /lib/udev/udevd so the init.d
script broke. Drivers didnt load, no mouse and no keyboard in xorg. What
I didnt do was to check if udevd was where it always have been the
latest 175 releases. It was kind of unthinkable that that would ever
move. Why would anyone do such thing. 

Well, they did... so watch out
for the udev-175 release that got pushed to edge. 

Sorry! 

-nc

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:43:42 +0100

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:13:01 +0100
> 'apk upgrade -U -a' and make sure that you get udev-173 back. 
...
> And guess why... They moved /sbin/udevd to /lib/udev/udevd so the
> init.d script broke.

I resolved it by creating a symlink in /sbin. udev-175-r1 should be
good.

Still, make sure you don't have udev-175-r0 before next reboot.

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---