Subject: V3.18 and edge have pae issue

From: Paul Gallegos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:44:53 -0700

Posted this to ~alpine/users but looks like the culprit may be a kernel 
update

(Original thread - 
https://lists.alpinelinux.org/~alpine/users/%3C03307148-0c4f-2aff-a4c9-cf9900221db5%40dkcomm.net%3E)

Hello,

I have a Kohjinsha SA1F00A UMPC (from 2007!) with the following specs:
AMD Geode LX800 @ 550 MHz
1 GB RAM (not upgradable)
30 GB HD

It formerly had Windows 95 on it, but obviously that wasn't going to
last, so I chose Alpine because of its long history with older
hardware.  I first installed Alpine 3.10 with no issues, then upgraded
to 3.12 when it was available.

Rock solid on 3.12 since 2020.

Yesterday, being bored, I decided to make a change and upgrade to the
latest version (3.18).  That was a mistake.

After the upgrade and subsequent reboot, I got the "This kernel requires
the following features" error listing "pae" as the culprit.

I downloaded the x86 ISO for Alpine 3.17 extended and installed that and
it worked again. Then, since I was already blasting away OS versions, I
figured what the hell and upgraded to edge and then rebooted.

Same error.

What happened between 3.17 and 3.18/edge that this error is now
prevalent? Is there something I can do to remediate this, or am I stuck
at 3.17 for the foreseeable future?

FYI - The current version on the laptop is now at 3.17.3 and it is 
working fine.

[email-masked] pointed this out as the possible culprit:

https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/commit/ea95865daefe76f6fa92806f747e98e829320d32

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 18:17:53 +0200

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 14:44:53 -0700

> https://lists.alpinelinux.org/~alpine/users/%3C03307148-0c4f-2aff-a4c9-cf9900221db5%40dkcomm.net%3E)

...
 
> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/commit/ea95865daefe76f6fa92806f747e98e829320d32

Sorry about that.

I have reverted the change for the linux-lts kernel in -edge.
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/commit/e81a0ff4246ffa3cc57dca06225c83fecafcfc5a

I wonder if you could try upgrade from 3.17 -> edge?

Once you confirm that it works I'll backport the change to 3.18-stable,
and maybe tag a new release.

-nc