Subject: [alpine-devel] fuse filesystems, non-root users, and grsecurity

From: Chris Brannon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 21:47:32 -0800

Yesterday, I was trying to mount an sshfs filesystem with my regular
user account, and I kept getting an error message saying: "bad
mountpoint, permission denied".
After lots of searching, I was still dumbfounded, until I had a flash of
inspiration.  I added my user to the readproc group, and voila, my
problem went away after logging out and logging in to refresh my groups.
Is there a better solution?  It seems counterintuitive that I should
have to be in the readproc group just to use sshfs.

-- Chris

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Timo Teras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:45:54 +0200

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 21:47:32 -0800
Chris Brannon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> After lots of searching, I was still dumbfounded, until I had a flash
> of inspiration.  I added my user to the readproc group, and voila, my
> problem went away after logging out and logging in to refresh my
> groups. Is there a better solution?  It seems counterintuitive that I
> should have to be in the readproc group just to use sshfs.

Thanks for the bug report. I added a patch that should fix this. True
new fuse package available in 'edge'.

See also:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/main/fuse?id=b5d81e456487d4dbfbdf0d07ae6ca5cf3f59d186
http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2015/02/07/1
http://sourceforge.net/p/fuse/mailman/message/33378384/

Thanks,
Timo

---