Subject: [alpine-devel] Mono package

From: Jeff Bilyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 22:42:28 -0500

Hey everyone,

The question came up this evening about packaging mono (the goal was
for a web server, not for desktop .NET apps), and while the
prerequisites as far as packages shouldn't be a problem, nenolod
raised the legitimate question of whether it should be included in the
main tree due to the uncertainty with patents when it comes to Mono.
Thoughts?

-- 
Jeff

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Nathan Angelacos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 19:53:14 -0800

> main tree due to the uncertainty with patents when it comes to Mono.
My 2 cents on adding Mono to Alpine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StHwAffUNxo

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:48:08 +0000

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 22:42:28 -0500

> main tree due to the uncertainty with patents when it comes to Mono.

I would be ok with it as long as I don't need to touch it, ever.
Someone else would need to maintain it and convince me that he/she
could deliver flawless apkbuilds and updates via a public git tree that
I (or someone else with git commit access) could pull from. The
maintainer would also need to convince me he/she will stay around for a
while and keep it up to date and dealing with all apps using it.

If there are legal doubts about it we might want keep them in
the 'non-free' section.

That said, I'd rather see Java in our git tree than mono.

-nc

---

---

From: Jeff Bilyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:21:00 -0500

Well, since it was an end-user on #-alpine-linux who raised the
question, and I don't personally have a need for mono plus adding in
the banishment of support from ncopa:) I wouldn't be the one to make
the apkbuild...  I guess since I don't see Third3ye on #alpine-linux
ATM (user who requested mono) it can wait/not get built.

Jeff

-- 
Jeff

---

---

From: Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:49:45 -0600

> That said, I'd rather see Java in our git tree than mono.

+1  :)