Subject: [alpine-devel] HTTPS on bugs and upcoming www

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 03:47:37 +0200

I have been working on getting HTTPS working for our
bugs.alpinelinux.org and our new upcoming www.alpinelinux.org
websites.
I have created a server certificate on CaCert.org, which is a
community driven certification authority. Most Linux distributions
already include their root certificate so no manual action on the
client side is needed.
If you are on windows, you will need to import its certificate's, you
can find information about it on their wiki:
http://wiki.cacert.org/BrowserClients
Both websites (bugs and www) reside behind Pound reverse proxy which
was installed on an old Edge vserver guest. While Pound should be able
to work with HTTPS, Pound 2.5 in Alpine 2.x seems to be broken.
I have removed Pound now and installed a new vserver with Alpine 2.1.6
which now runs Nginx from edge repository. Not only do they support
HTTPS, Nginx also does static content caching as reverse proxy.
If you find issues on below website please let us know.

http://bugs.alpinelinux.org
http://redmine.alpinelinux.org
https://bugs.alpinelinux.org
https://redmine.alpinelinux.org

http://nl.alpinelinux.org and http://rsync.alpinelinux.org are also
located behind the reverse proxy. It runs without caching for obvious
reasons. If you find any issues with it please let us know.

-carlo

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: "iilluzion :)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:20:24 +0400

Dear Carlo,

Thank you very much for your efforts! It's greatly appreciated.

My only concern is that Mozilla still does not support the root
certificate of CAcert.org. But it might an idea to include the
CAcert.org root certificate into our Alpine distribution.

---

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:30:13 +0200

> CAcert.org root certificate into our Alpine distribution.

Our sites are now using startcom free SSL certs.
It should be automatically verified in our browsers, so no need to
import a root CA.

---