Subject: [alpine-devel] Alpine Linux - Small Simple Secure

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:01:04 +0200

Hello Alpine Linux users / fans

While we are nearing a final 2.2 release, we have also worked on
creating a new website which we want to launch at the same time.
It is made with Drupal 7.x and runs on Lighttpd with Postgresql as
database and of course on Alpine Linux.

This new website will be used for the following:

* News
* Downloads
* Package browser
* Additional information (links to other services)
* Blog(s) maybe per developer (something like Planet Alpine
* And more...

Note:we keep documentation on our wiki

Most of the content is generated with Drupal and contrib modules found
on Drupal.org except for one, which is the package browser.
While I know its far from perfect, it currently does its job which is
fetch package information from our repo's and import it into Drupal as
nodes (content).
With the help of Drupal Views we are now able to browse our packages.
I made a simple template to display an individual package, it is
currently limited because we recently added extra fields to our
packages to help display related information. A list of the current
variables we can use are:

Package: Name, Checksum, Version ,Size, Installed size, Description,
URL, License,
Origin, Build date, Commit hash, Maintainer ,Dependencies, Install If,
Architecture, Repository

Things we currently have on our todo (from my memory) are:

* Link the package to the actual commit.
* Link the package to the maintainer which is a Drupal user

When mapping packages to maintainer it will be easier for each
developer to see which packages belong to him, while our users will be
able to flag packages our of date.
For this linking to work, we will need all developers to register an
account and have a matching email address in their profile to match to
the maintainer field in aports.

As for the layout/theme of our site, it is based on Drupal Pixture
Reloaded theme. We use this as base because we do not have any artwork
specialists in our team. We have tried with a bit of tweaking to
provide a simple and clean website which focus on easy access of
information without too much bloat. This is also one of the items
which can be improved if somebody has those skills.

We would like everyone to take a sneak peak and provide us with
input/ideas so we can try to implement/fix them before we go live with
our 2.2 release. Because its not yet online you will need to make a
change to you hostfile (or router/dns) so www.alpinelinux.org will
point to the correct server. The entry should be:

81.175.82.11 www.alpinelinux.org

Hosts file in linux is located here /etc/hosts
On Windows this should be Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

All the code/artwork has been stored on our git repo:

http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/clandmeter/alpine_drupal_settings.git/
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/clandmeter/alpine_drupal_theme.git/
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/clandmeter/apk_browser.git/

P.S. is the slogan catchy enough?

-carlo

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:09:06 -0400

Took a quick look around and it looks good.  Regarding the main tagline /
header - I'd put a separator of some sort between "alpinelinux" and "small
simple secure" - it currently sort of runs together.

I think the theme is sufficient for all us non-artsy types.  Until we
attract an artist or two, it will certainly work!

Jeremy Thomerson

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:42:34 +0200

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:01:04 +0200

> Note:we keep documentation on our wiki
...

Nice work there!

I wonder if we could create an issue in issue tracker similar to
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/589 with subtasks with the specific
issues needs to be resolved before release.

Thanks!

-nc

---