Subject: Re: bootstrap.sh fails

From: "Drew DeVault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 20:33:22 -0500

bootstrap.sh isn't batteries included, it's kind of expected to fail and
you're kind of expected to work your way through it. It's just there to
help you through what is ultimately a very large, complicated, manual,
and error prone process.

---

From: Carl Chave <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 20:49:01 -0500

> help you through what is ultimately a very large, complicated, manual,

Thanks for the reply - It was your interesting blog post on porting
Alpine to RISC-V which landed me in this predicament!  I guess I'll
keep poking at it.  I've looked at the referenced line number (953)
which was not very enlightening and tried adding a missing file to the
gcc source (standard.ads.h) for no other reason that it was causing a
broken symlink,  I'm sure there's worse ways to spend a Friday
evening!

---

From: Carl Chave <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 21:50:00 -0500

For the record, I did end up getting a working base load on an old
armel board.  I'm not convinced I could recreate what I did, but the
two things that fixed the majority of the issues I had was disabling
most of the compiler language support when invoking the bootstrap
script:

CBUILD=x86_64 LANG_D=false LANG_OBJC=false LANG_GO=false
LANG_FORTRAN=false LANG_ADA=false ./bootstrap.sh armel

and commenting out the stripbin function in /usr/bin/abuild because
the wrong strip binary was being called for many packages, not all,
but many.  Probably not the best solution but I figured I could go
back and rebuild everything natively later?