enabling FANOTIFY in alpine

<CAABBVPrAB=_g6wbTAFEg63WUAOQpVX0eaSm52q4EG9A5x5P7zw@mail.gmail.com>
Hi all,

I want to enable FANOTIFY in alpine linux VM, I see it's disabled by
default. A few articles suggested I can enable this and build a custom
kernel, is there any other way to enable this on a running VM, without
building kernel?

I tried searching for linux kernel modules which can be enabled on runtime,
but couldn't find one.

Thanks
<CRPK8K8S2P9O.2N6IN27Z3JEGZ@sumire>
In-Reply-To
<CAABBVPrAB=_g6wbTAFEg63WUAOQpVX0eaSm52q4EG9A5x5P7zw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu Apr 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM CEST, cyber psych wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to enable FANOTIFY in alpine linux VM, I see it's disabled by
> default. A few articles suggested I can enable this and build a custom
> kernel, is there any other way to enable this on a running VM, without
> building kernel?

it is already enabled in linux-lts and linux-virt, in edge and 3.17.

> I tried searching for linux kernel modules which can be enabled on runtime,
> but couldn't find one.
>
> Thanks
<CAABBVPpijJ2NXNheKL+uROGa6ahxzohZGTTKavCZejxKb3oN9Q@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CRPK8K8S2P9O.2N6IN27Z3JEGZ@sumire> (view parent)
Didn't notice that, thanks @alice

On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 2:50 PM alice <alice@ayaya.dev> wrote:

> On Thu Apr 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM CEST, cyber psych wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to enable FANOTIFY in alpine linux VM, I see it's disabled by
> > default. A few articles suggested I can enable this and build a custom
> > kernel, is there any other way to enable this on a running VM, without
> > building kernel?
>
> it is already enabled in linux-lts and linux-virt, in edge and 3.17.
>

> > I tried searching for linux kernel modules which can be enabled on
> runtime,
> > but couldn't find one.
> >
> > Thanks

<CRPKZRF134AD.21M3LA9YUU6BU@sumire>
In-Reply-To
<CAABBVPpijJ2NXNheKL+uROGa6ahxzohZGTTKavCZejxKb3oN9Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu Apr 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM CEST, cyber psych wrote:
> Didn't notice that, thanks @alice

for future reference, since you might want to know how to find if a running
kernel has something enabled:

 $ doas modprobe configs
 $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_FAN
 CONFIG_FANOTIFY=y
 CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y

this will correspond to the currently running kernel configuration.
<CAABBVPpUeja+HUEO58+5kRytyVxv3wU7JxZK4v3XiLC6a7mbjQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CRPKZRF134AD.21M3LA9YUU6BU@sumire> (view parent)
Thanks. Yeah I did that, I was using 3.16 and so it showed me that it was
disabled. Didn't check on the latest version.

On Thu, 6 Apr, 2023, 3:25 pm alice, <alice@ayaya.dev> wrote:

> On Thu Apr 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM CEST, cyber psych wrote:
> > Didn't notice that, thanks @alice
>
> for future reference, since you might want to know how to find if a running
> kernel has something enabled:
>
>  $ doas modprobe configs
>  $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_FAN
>  CONFIG_FANOTIFY=y
>  CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y
>
> this will correspond to the currently running kernel configuration.

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)