For discussion of Alpine Linux development and developer support

9 4

[alpine-devel] Should `setup-apkrepos -f` if fails.

Magicloud Magiclouds
Details
Message ID
<CABErt4d0f0BfDk3itMnbrMuHQRixD=a3EGCeEnyVt=Kr1E3MzA@mail.gmail.com>
Sender timestamp
1551591358
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hi,

While working on automatically setup an alpinelinux, I found that,
`setup-apkrepos -f` falls back to interactive mode if something is
wrong when retrieving mirror list.

I think this is unexpected. One, headless or unattended setup hangs
because this step is waiting for user. Two, it does not exit with
error, so the automation script cannot detect the error easily and
patch things up.

I did not submit this as a bug since I'd like to have your opinion. Thanks.

-- 
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---

[alpine-devel] Re: Should `setup-apkrepos -f` exit if fails.

Magicloud Magiclouds
Details
Message ID
<CABErt4e+o=T-7w+X-KXQtTRWEzW+hosY+2bMeLtbD-zEaiWTJg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABErt4d0f0BfDk3itMnbrMuHQRixD=a3EGCeEnyVt=Kr1E3MzA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1551591598
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Sorry the subject missed the word "exit".

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> While working on automatically setup an alpinelinux, I found that,
> `setup-apkrepos -f` falls back to interactive mode if something is
> wrong when retrieving mirror list.
>
> I think this is unexpected. One, headless or unattended setup hangs
> because this step is waiting for user. Two, it does not exit with
> error, so the automation script cannot detect the error easily and
> patch things up.
>
> I did not submit this as a bug since I'd like to have your opinion. Thanks.
>
> --
> 竹密岂妨流水过
> 山高哪阻野云飞
>
> And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.



-- 
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Details
Message ID
<20190308155207.GA7260@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<4794e0ed-092a-c051-d850-bef86b8bb475@linux.ibm.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552060327
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
A little bit late to this thread, but I found the installation scripts
wholely unsuitable for unattended installation. You're probably better
off ditching them. Here's the script I use:

https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/builds.sr.ht/tree/master/images/alpine/genimg

Feel free to adapt it to your needs. IMO given the simplicity of doing
these steps manually, I think that the setup-* scripts should be
considered useful only in an interactive install.


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Tuan Hoang
Details
Message ID
<4794e0ed-092a-c051-d850-bef86b8bb475@linux.ibm.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABErt4d0f0BfDk3itMnbrMuHQRixD=a3EGCeEnyVt=Kr1E3MzA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552060142
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hello,

Personally speaking, I like automated installation feature landed on
Alpine. But for now, the installer scripts do not support it to my
knowledge.

Seems like you have already made some progress with that endeavor, would
you mind sending a patch or opening an issue or pr and we can discuss
about it ?

Tuan

On 3/3/19 6:35 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> While working on automatically setup an alpinelinux, I found that,
> `setup-apkrepos -f` falls back to interactive mode if something is
> wrong when retrieving mirror list.
> 
> I think this is unexpected. One, headless or unattended setup hangs
> because this step is waiting for user. Two, it does not exit with
> error, so the automation script cannot detect the error easily and
> patch things up.
> 
> I did not submit this as a bug since I'd like to have your opinion. Thanks.
> 



---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Tuan Hoang
Details
Message ID
<e831e144-ac3b-ad3b-98c9-2c9371547089@linux.ibm.com>
In-Reply-To
<20190308155207.GA7260@homura.localdomain> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552060847
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
I would love to hear opinions from Alpine dev team on this matter.

What's in my mind is something like established method like kickstart
(and preseed too?).

Something like, you have an init service that watches for kernel parm
'auto_inst'. If there is, it starts the automated installer for you (and
somehow can reuse our setup-* scripts), with a provided configuration
file. Could be like 'auto_inst=https://yoursite.com/auto_inst.conf'. I
think this would be a nice fit for Alpine.


On 3/8/19 4:52 PM, Drew DeVault wrote:
> A little bit late to this thread, but I found the installation scripts
> wholely unsuitable for unattended installation. You're probably better
> off ditching them. Here's the script I use:
> 
> https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/builds.sr.ht/tree/master/images/alpine/genimg
> 
> Feel free to adapt it to your needs. IMO given the simplicity of doing
> these steps manually, I think that the setup-* scripts should be
> considered useful only in an interactive install.
> 
> 
> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---
> 



---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Tuan Hoang
Details
Message ID
<876d757e-76a4-4be1-b12e-3c9218cb8885@linux.ibm.com>
In-Reply-To
<e831e144-ac3b-ad3b-98c9-2c9371547089@linux.ibm.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552061022
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 3/8/19 5:00 PM, Tuan Hoang wrote:
> I would love to hear opinions from Alpine dev team on this matter.
> 
> What's in my mind is something like established method like kickstart
> (and preseed too?).
> 
> Something like, you have an init service that watches for kernel parm
> 'auto_inst'. If there is, it starts the automated installer for you (and
> somehow can reuse our setup-* scripts), with a provided configuration
> file. Could be like 'auto_inst=https://yoursite.com/auto_inst.conf'. I
> think this would be a nice fit for Alpine.
> 
As simple as firstboot init service we are having and its corresponding
kernel parm 'ssh_key'.
https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/tree/main/openrc/firstboot.initd

> 
> On 3/8/19 4:52 PM, Drew DeVault wrote:
>> A little bit late to this thread, but I found the installation scripts
>> wholely unsuitable for unattended installation. You're probably better
>> off ditching them. Here's the script I use:
>>
>> https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/builds.sr.ht/tree/master/images/alpine/genimg
>>
>> Feel free to adapt it to your needs. IMO given the simplicity of doing
>> these steps manually, I think that the setup-* scripts should be
>> considered useful only in an interactive install.
>>
>>
>> ---
>> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
>> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
>> ---
>>
> 
> 
> 
> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---
> 



---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Natanael Copa
Details
Message ID
<20190314144641.49614cc1@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<CABErt4d0f0BfDk3itMnbrMuHQRixD=a3EGCeEnyVt=Kr1E3MzA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552571201
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 13:35:58 +0800
Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> While working on automatically setup an alpinelinux, I found that,
> `setup-apkrepos -f` falls back to interactive mode if something is
> wrong when retrieving mirror list.
> 
> I think this is unexpected. One, headless or unattended setup hangs
> because this step is waiting for user. Two, it does not exit with
> error, so the automation script cannot detect the error easily and
> patch things up.
> 
> I did not submit this as a bug since I'd like to have your opinion. Thanks.
> 

Yeah, I think this can be considered a bug. Please report it on https://bugs.alpinelinux.org

-nc


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---

Re: [alpine-devel] unattended installs (WAS: Should `setup-apkrepos -f` if fails.)

Natanael Copa
Details
Message ID
<20190314154325.70bb543b@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<e831e144-ac3b-ad3b-98c9-2c9371547089@linux.ibm.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552574605
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 17:00:47 +0100
Tuan Hoang <tmhoang@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> I would love to hear opinions from Alpine dev team on this matter.
> 
> What's in my mind is something like established method like kickstart
> (and preseed too?).
> 
> Something like, you have an init service that watches for kernel parm
> 'auto_inst'. If there is, it starts the automated installer for you (and
> somehow can reuse our setup-* scripts), with a provided configuration
> file. Could be like 'auto_inst=https://yoursite.com/auto_inst.conf'. I
> think this would be a nice fit for Alpine.

We currently have support for "answer" files. This was added as a hack,
and I would like to replace it.

I think it would be cool if you could provide alpine with an coud-init
yaml file and it would install it based on that.

I don't know if cloud-init format is the best or if there are any other
alternatives to consider. I just think we should not invent our own
format for this.

-nc


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Magicloud Magiclouds
Details
Message ID
<CABErt4dW2h=vYd52Qn-yTvC6EaVVBHVT7_STQg7on0Y_Psj0UQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20190314144641.49614cc1@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552620603
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Sorry, I was not aware that the thread was replied.

I have some opinions on read-only image kick start. I will check
Drew's script first. Then a feature request for discussing.

PS: Tuan, I think ssh_key is quite hard to use, actually. It accepts a
URL, or a pub key string. Since pub key string contains spaces
(ssh-rsa ABCDEFG hostname), while some boot loader cannot pass this
string correctly (with double quote, or escaping), it is not
practically a useful way.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:46 PM Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 13:35:58 +0800
> Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > While working on automatically setup an alpinelinux, I found that,
> > `setup-apkrepos -f` falls back to interactive mode if something is
> > wrong when retrieving mirror list.
> >
> > I think this is unexpected. One, headless or unattended setup hangs
> > because this step is waiting for user. Two, it does not exit with
> > error, so the automation script cannot detect the error easily and
> > patch things up.
> >
> > I did not submit this as a bug since I'd like to have your opinion. Thanks.
> >
>
> Yeah, I think this can be considered a bug. Please report it on https://bugs.alpinelinux.org
>
> -nc



-- 
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Tuan Hoang
Details
Message ID
<73c6c5af-e514-b56a-9075-230f46c94e68@linux.ibm.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABErt4dW2h=vYd52Qn-yTvC6EaVVBHVT7_STQg7on0Y_Psj0UQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1552913612
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message

On 3/15/19 4:30 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:

> PS: Tuan, I think ssh_key is quite hard to use, actually. It accepts a
> URL, or a pub key string. Since pub key string contains spaces
> (ssh-rsa ABCDEFG hostname), while some boot loader cannot pass this
> string correctly (with double quote, or escaping), it is not
> practically a useful way.
> 

The support for pub key string is there but I don't know if you could
paste a RSA key into the kernel parm (limited by 255 char ?). A ssh
ed25519 key should work I guess.

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:46 PM Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 13:35:58 +0800
>> Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While working on automatically setup an alpinelinux, I found that,
>>> `setup-apkrepos -f` falls back to interactive mode if something is
>>> wrong when retrieving mirror list.
>>>
>>> I think this is unexpected. One, headless or unattended setup hangs
>>> because this step is waiting for user. Two, it does not exit with
>>> error, so the automation script cannot detect the error easily and
>>> patch things up.
>>>
>>> I did not submit this as a bug since I'd like to have your opinion. Thanks.
>>>
>>
>> Yeah, I think this can be considered a bug. Please report it on https://bugs.alpinelinux.org
>>
>> -nc
> 
> 
> 



---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---