Subject: [alpine-devel] Redmine

From: Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:40:32 -0600

@clandmeter: any updates to http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Redmine ?

I spent a bit of time today trying to get Redmine working on my dev box
before I installed it on production, but kept hitting issues.  I upgraded
the box to 2.5 so that I could use the redmine package.  But then I hit
blocker after blocker, and kept working through them one at a time, but
eventually decided I didn't want something that cobbled together installed
on production.  (I got to the point where Redmine would run with the
webrick server from the CLI, but didn't complete making it work with
lighttpd / fastcgi).

So, I was hoping the redmine package would "just work", or have a good
documented way of working.  Just curious if it was something you had
working somewhere.

Jeremy

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:11:58 +0100

Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> @clandmeter: any updates to http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Redmine ?

Not yet, I still need to do another install and see the following steps. I
was in a hurry at that time to get everything running.

> the box to 2.5 so that I could use the Redmine package.  But then I hit

ncopa has tried to get it working with lighttpd but failed because fastcgi
seems to be broken. We looked at alternatives and the most interesting was
unicorn (github is also using it). That's why Redmine apk is now based on
unicorn instead of lighttpd. Can you list the issues to which you run into?
With that info we can extend the wiki from a user perspective (sometimes I
take things for granted which I should not).

> documented way of working.  Just curious if it was something you had

Making Redmine "Just work" would be best, but the way they
handle dependencies now has changed, they are now using bundle which seems
the de-facto way of handling ruby dependencies now.
I have put all Redmine ruby dependencies into aports so we can install them
automatically, but because we do not use bundle Redmine keeps complaining
about dependencies so currently we have to run it manually. I contacted a
Redmine developer and he strongly advised me to keep using bundle. Running
bundle for instance from post-install will update ruby dependencies
automatically which is what we want to prevent (apk should handle deps). I
didn't find time yet to look into bundle/Redmine, if somebody knows how we
can hack Redmine so it accepts the dependencies installed by apk that would
be great.

---

From: Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:44:15 -0600

> take things for granted which I should not).

I have lighty running fastcgi for PHP.  I tried adding config to get it
running for Redmine (ruby) but it kept crashing.  Maybe that's the same
thing you experienced.  Most of the issues I ran into are what you describe
below - the dependency nightmare.  But I was able to install ruby-bundle
and "bundle install" worked to get things going where I could run Redmine
with the built-in server.  However, I could not get the ruby-fcgi
dependency (added by APK) recognized.  And adding fcgi as a dependency in
the Gemfile broke things (bundler wouldn't install it because of missing
header files - I think - but even when I "apk add ruby-dev" it still
complained).

> I have put all Redmine ruby dependencies into aports so we can install
> them automatically, but because we do not use bundle Redmine keeps
> complaining about dependencies so currently we have to run it manually. I
> contacted a Redmine developer and he strongly advised me to keep using
> bundle. Running bundle for instance from post-install will update ruby
> dependencies automatically which is what we want to prevent (apk should
> handle deps). I didn't find time yet to look into bundle/Redmine, if
> somebody knows how we can hack Redmine so it accepts the dependencies
> installed by apk that would be great.
>
>
Sorry - I'm not a Ruby guy at all.  I won't be much help here.

Thanks!

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 08:03:19 +0100

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:44:15 -0600
Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> running for Redmine (ruby) but it kept crashing.

I have some memory of this. I think the fastcgi stuff for ruby was
totally broke or something. When asking on IRC they said, why do you
run FCGI at all? So I switched to unicorn instead.

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 12:44:54 +0100

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]

>> ncopa has tried to get it working with lighttpd but failed because
>> fastcgi seems to be broken. We looked at alternatives and the
>> most interesting was unicorn (github is also using it). That's why Redmine
>> apk is now based on unicorn instead of lighttpd. Can you list the issues to
>> which you run into? With that info we can extend the wiki from a user
>> perspective (sometimes I take things for granted which I should not).
>>
>
> thing you experienced.

Fastcgi itself is not broken, but ruby-fastcgi is, although i didn't try it
myself.

> Most of the issues I ran into are what you describe below - the dependency
> nightmare.  But I was able to install ruby-bundle and "bundle install"
> worked to get things going where I could run Redmine with the built-in
> server.  However, I could not get the ruby-fcgi dependency (added by APK)
> recognized.  And adding fcgi as a dependency in the Gemfile broke things
> (bundler wouldn't install it because of missing header files - I think -
> but even when I "apk add ruby-dev" it still complained).
>

You need alpine-sdk and needed depends to build those ruby packages. Thats
one of the reasons we want those packages inside aports. apk add redmine
should be enough to get things going. After that you need to configure the
webserver of use. Although we choose for unicorn, there are other
alternatives which should work, aslong its not fcgi related.
I will see what is missing to make redmine install by only using apk, but
configuring the website is not part of this.

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 21:48:44 +0100

Please check
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Redmine#Installing_Redmine_2.1.2

I have moved init scripts to unicorn and added a default config to it. It
should be much easier to get it working.
Please let me know if it works.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
> Fastcgi itself is not broken, but ruby-fastcgi is, although i didn't try
> it myself.
>
>
>> Most of the issues I ran into are what you describe below - the
>> dependency nightmare.  But I was able to install ruby-bundle and "bundle
>> install" worked to get things going where I could run Redmine with the
>> built-in server.  However, I could not get the ruby-fcgi dependency (added
>> by APK) recognized.  And adding fcgi as a dependency in the Gemfile broke
>> things (bundler wouldn't install it because of missing header files - I
>> think - but even when I "apk add ruby-dev" it still complained).
>>
>