Subject: [alpine-devel] Poweroff :)

From: Florian Heigl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:43:34 +0100

Hi,

a small question - once in a while at some desparate sad times even my
Alpine systems have to be shut down.
It seems "halt" would be the command I'm supposed to use, since there
is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.
Now while halt does get quite close to a shutdown since it does a lot
more than it would do on a Unix box, it does
stay quite close to the original by not issueing a poweroff after it
is done "halting".

I need to check off the following things:
Systems should power off after a shutdown
Systems should also run this shutdown if the acpi power button is short-pressed

I haven't found much to this behalf but I've even seen it in
Virtualbox, so this has to be a common thing?

Would be glad if someone told me what to change!

Florian

-- 
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and
copied by the kvm devs.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:35:52 +0100

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:43:34 +0100

> Systems should power off after a shutdown

Dejavu. I have been there...

try /sbin/poweroff

> Systems should also run this shutdown if the acpi power button is

Make sure that /etc/init.d/acpid runs. (it should if you used
setup-alpine)

> Florian

-nc

---

---

From: Nathan Angelacos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 07:38:09 -0800

> is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.

I use the busybox "poweroff" command.  Seems to shut down services and 
then power off.

And acpid takes care of the power-button thing here.

---

---

From: Florian Heigl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:07:16 +0100

Hi all,

> I use the busybox "poweroff" command.  Seems to shut down services and then
> power off.

I found poweroff a little later - it is very quick about the poweroff I think.
Are you sure it's really shutting down stuff?
My shell was gone moments after I hit enter.

Well... I can try adding an init script that writes a file on stop.

> And acpid takes care of the power-button thing here.

Ok that's quite normal I'll give it a test :)

Flo

---

---

From: Jeff Bilyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:08:44 -0500

> My shell was gone moments after I hit enter.

Yes, in my testing all services are shutdown cleanly using the poweroff command.

-- 
Jeff

---

---

From: Florian Heigl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:39:08 +0100

Just a followup - on a system with console I could see the poweroff
runs a proper shutdown. It's just very very fast.

---