Subject: [alpine-devel] Edge: Xen hang during boot

From: Florian Heigl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:08:01 +0100

Hi,

while I now see all CPUs in the standard kernel I now can't boot into
the Xen one :)

The lines of output (manually copied) are:

Alpine Init 2.4.2-r0

   OpenRC 0.8.3.0ec744 is starting up Linux 3.0.9-grsec (x86_64) [XENU]

* /proc is already mounted ...ok
* Mounting /run
* Mounting xenfs
* Mounting security filesystem
* Mounting debug filesystem
* Starting busybox mdev
* /dev/ is already mounted
* Starting udevd
* Populating /dev with existing through uevents ...
* Waiting for uevents to be processed ...
Nov 16 21 ... blah .... ata_id[1836]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for
'/dev/sdd': Invalid argument

After that nothing.
sdd, by the way is a usb flash pendrive on the mainboard.

Any idea how I get through that now?

Florian

-- 
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and
copied by the kvm devs.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:27:37 +0100

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:08:01 +0100

> '/dev/sdd': Invalid argument

Do you need udev? (you probably want udev if you have things that
depends on libudev, like xorg.

In any case, you should not have boths busybopx mdev and udev enabled.
pick one.

> Any idea how I get through that now?

I don't have any experience with Xen so I don't know. (I am considering
setting up Xen on my main desktop box in a couple of weeks)

-nc

---

---

From: Florian Heigl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:37:57 +0100

> depends on libudev, like xorg.

the howto has said i want it, and xen indeed does use udev for
hotplugging interfaces or disks into virtual machines.

I didn't explicitely enable mdev / or did know that it's around.

Any quick pointer for disabling? Does it need a initrd rebuild to turn off?

as for your desktop maybe we can sync a little when you're setting it up.
I hope I have everything tested till then.

So far I could boot a CentOS paravirt VM (that means I got it do see a
disk) but didn't get the networking sorted (that means it thought it
had an interface but that interface was not hooked up to it's bridge)

A few weeks ago I wrote a howto for making an alpine domU image for
some guy who wanted one, but I'm afraid he didn't actually build it.
I'm going to put that on my list :)

Greetings,
Florian

---