Subject: [alpine-devel] Missing /etc/inputrc

From: Gennady Feldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 13:11:32 -0500

Hi,

I've ran into an issue where some of the common keys where not working
inside bash in Alpine. The fix was actually quite trivial. I just had to
copy /etc/inputrc from another box. This leads me to the question as to why
Alpine doesn't provide /etc/inputrc as part of a package? alpine-baselayout?

Thank you,

Gennady

---

From: "A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 18:25:15 -0600

On 01/09/18 12:11, Gennady Feldman wrote:
> inside bash in Alpine.

"some of the common keys" is vague here.  I'm assuming you probably mean
the emacs bindings like ^A, ^K, etc?

> The fix was actually quite trivial. I just had to
> copy /etc/inputrc from another box. This leads me to the question as to
> why Alpine doesn't provide /etc/inputrc as part of a package?

Using these packages:

Installed:                                Available:
bash-4.4.12-r1                          = 4.4.12-r1
readline-7.0.003-r0                     = 7.0.003-r0

I don't need an /etc/inputrc to use ^A, ^K, etc in bash.  (I use zsh in
vim mode typically, so I wouldn't typically notice.)  It looks like
maybe this also handles ^← ^→ for word skipping, which does *not* work
here in this bash.

> alpine-baselayout?

Since this is a readline file, it should probably be provided by
readline; I'm not sure why Gentoo puts it in sys-apps/baselayout.
Debian has it in readline-common (as /usr/share/readline/inputrc).
Fedora has it in setup[noarch] ("A set of configuration and setup
files"); presumably, this is because they customise it beyond the
readline library's shipped example file, and because readline is a part
of their @system repo.

So, tl;dr: +1 on shipping an /etc/inputrc in readline package.

Best,
--arw

-- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
http://adelielinux.org

---

From: Gennady Feldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:44:49 -0500

I had issues with Home/End keys in default (emacs) bash editing mode.

I just sent a PR to add inputrc to readline package.

Thank you,

Gennady