Subject: [alpine-devel] Re: New mirror from nenolod

From: Jeff Bilyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:25:39 -0500

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Natanael Copa <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:53:44 -0500
> Jeff Bilyk <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> http://repos.lax-noc.com/alpine/
>>
>> He said that they're pullling hourly, should be sticking around, and
>> would be ok being on the mirrors list.  Any objections to adding it?
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>
> go for it!
>
> -nc

As ncopa suggested this morning on irc, I also made a change so that
MIRRORS.txt on nl.a.o gets pulled from git now, which makes sense
instead of editing it manually on nl, then bumping pkgrel for
alpine-mirrors package.  It runs hourly, but if someone feels it
should run more/less frequently, please feel free to edit...

Thanks,

Jeff

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Florian Heigl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:13:42 +0100

Hi,

>>> would be ok being on the mirrors list.  Any objections to adding it?

1. how about a mirror howto like i.e. NetBSD/FreeBSD have?
2. Does anyone how much traffic are current mirrors are getting?

Greetings,
Florian

-- 
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and
copied by the kvm devs.

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:24:33 +0100

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:13:42 +0100

> 1. how about a mirror howto like i.e. NetBSD/FreeBSD have?

We have this:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_setup_a_Alpine_Linux_mirror

The freebsd howto:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/hubs/mirror-howto.html

The NetBSD mirror FAQ:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/mirror.html

Things that our howto does not yet cover and that might be a good idea
to get written down:

* What is required to become an official mirror?
  - how much disk space is needed?
  - how much bandwidth is required?
  - Who to contact for setting it up?
  - How to set up the contact info (so Alpine Linux team can reach the
    mirror sysadmin)
  - How are outages announced?

I think it might be a good idea to have a record some place with
private contact info (so we can contact the mirror admin), and
location so people can see where its located.

> 2. Does anyone how much traffic are current mirrors are getting?

I do not have any overview of that. sorry. I suppose it Should be
possible to fish out stats from some of the mirrors.

While here...
How about official bittorent seeders for iso images?

There are various trackers we could use (linuxtracker.org for example)
and it is trivial to set up our own tracker. What might need a bit more
work is set up automatic seeding whenever a new iso image is uploaded
and publish it automatically some how. I am pretty sure it is possible
with transmission-daemon/transmission-cli.

Thanks!

-nc

---

---

From: Roger Pau Monné <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:58:56 +0100

> with transmission-daemon/transmission-cli.

I've used rtorrent, which has a smaller footprint than transmission
and works great for seedboxes. It has a pretty nice feature that could
come in handy here. You can setup a watch folder and just throw a
torrent there that rtorrent automatically picks up and starts seeding.

---