Subject: [alpine-devel] Concerns about grsec

From: Alba Pompeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 12:04:56 -0300

Hello everyone.

Have you heard about the new grsec exploit and the (bad) way
developers are responding to it?

I'll give you some links.
https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/724745886794833920
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/27/linux_security_bug_report_row/

What do you guys think about this?
Maybe time to reconsider grsec and look for alternatives?

Ciao.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Leo Unglaub <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 13:21:03 +0200

Hey,

> developers are responding to it?

yeah, i have heared about it. I am not surprised about it. When you get
to a certain level of skill appearently you become an idiot as well.
Thats nothing new in the software community.

I was reading twitter on my phone and i marked the tweet so i could
read the patch later on when i was in the office an i also got banned
for just marking the tweet. Currently i cannot access there twitter
feed anymore.

> Maybe time to reconsider grsec and look for alternatives?

Thats the big problem, there are no alternatives around at the moment.
Not to that extend. If you want the same or even more security features
you have to use the OpenBSD kernel. I joked about it in the past to
make an Alpine Version that ships the OpenBSD kernel instead of the
Linux one, maybe this will become nesecarry one day :)

But for now i think the only thing we can do is to want until they come
down again.

Greetings
Leo

---