Subject: [alpine-devel] texlive not working

From: Alba Pompeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:31:52 -0200

I have 2 problems with texlive.

First, xelatex is missing.
Second, pdflates doesn't compile files. Here I show the error.

alba:~$ pdflatex example.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.16 (TeX Live 2015/Alpine
Linux) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
Can't locate mktexlsr.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/tlpkg
/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/local/share/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl
/usr/share/perl5/core_perl .) at /usr/bin/mktexfmt line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/mktexfmt line 26.
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

Ciao.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:59:44 -0800

> First, xelatex is missing.
Currently living in texlive-xetex; that can change if desired.

> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
I *think* it may be possible to circumvent this by running mktexlsr
manually, but there will be more issues.
For LaTeX, you need fonts and packages; there are theoretically two ways
(or more) to get the packages:
* download the texmf tarball:
 ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2015/texlive-20150523-texmf.tar.xz
 untar it, then
 mv */texmf-dist /usr/share/
 apk fix texlive

Be aware that this is a ~1.6 gigabyte tarball and uses ~ 4 gigs extracted.

* run tlmgr: this is the TeX package manager.
I've tried to get this running, but it dies; curently the error is:
$ tlmgr
Can't locate TeXLive/TLPDB.pm in @INC (you may need to install the TeXLive::TLPDB module) (@INC contains: /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive /usr/share/tlpkg /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/local/share/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl /usr/share/perl5/core_perl .) at /usr/bin/tlmgr line 93.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tlmgr line 93.

Poking at it, I see that someone with more knowledge of Perl than I
would need to look at it.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham

---