Subject: [alpine-devel] Meta package for pulling in all dev packages

From: Alba Pompeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:36:28 -0200

Hi all.

Currently we have the meta package 'docs' for pulling in all documentation.
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/docs/APKBUILD
Could we have a 'devs' meta package for pulling in all developer packages?
That would be very handy.

Thanks a lot.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Alba Pompeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:56:29 -0200

What if we added `  install_if="devs $pkgname=$pkgver-r$pkgrel"  ` to
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/abuild/tree/abuild.in#n1505 and
created an APKBUILD `devs` just like `docs` ? Would it work?

BTW, I was reading abuild.in.
In default_doc I found a possible resource waste.
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/abuild/tree/abuild.in#n1421
If I understand it, the ` install_if ` is reading checking *all*
packages to see if the name is ` docs `.
Isn't that dumb?

Wouldn't be a better idea to put that line into the docs package itself?
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/docs/APKBUILD
doc() {
    default_doc
    install_if="docs $pkgname=$pkgver-r$pkgrel"
}

What you think?

---

---

From: William Pitcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 01:11:36 -0600

Hello,

> created an APKBUILD `devs` just like `docs` ? Would it work?

Yes.  It would work.  We are still debating the merit of implementing
that change as we intend to cut abuild 2.30 release soon.
If accepted, it would be done in abuild 2.30 and the end result
available at the next mass rebuild or in the 3.6 branch rebuild.

> packages to see if the name is ` docs `.

This is just setting the install_if contents to "docs
$pkgname=$pkgver-r$pkgrel" by default, allowing overrides in APKBUILD
to change the rule if appropriate.  apk can handle these rules
intelligently in it's dependency resolver, so it is not very wasteful.

>     install_if="docs $pkgname=$pkgver-r$pkgrel"

This proposed change has no effect given the above, as the default
doc() function just serves as a thunk to default_doc().  Any APKBUILD
which overrides doc() would still lose the $install_if definition.

William

---

---

From: Alba Pompeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:40:11 -0200

Thanks for all answers - very good.

---