For discussion of Alpine Linux development and developer support

5 5

[alpine-devel] efivar,efibootmgr: stabilization on all architectures

Lucas Ramage
Details
Message ID
<CAKkjsY-wis0TYRu72wB7p8NjfSob5mG1xF9Uw4ds5Q9tGBN+9Q@mail.gmail.com>
Sender timestamp
1516722878
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hello,

I would like to get these two packages into main but I need help testing
all of the different architectures.

I have x86_64, x86 covered as those are fairly standard these days and I
have plenty of hardware to test them on, but I do not have a way to test
any of the following:

- armhf
- aarch64
- ppc64le

Is there anyone here who uses these architectures that would be willing to
test these packages?

Thanks,

-- 

[image: Visit online journal] <https://lramage94.github.io>

*Lucas Ramage* / Software Engineer
ramage.lucas@openmailbox.org / (941) 404-6794

*PGP Fingerprint* / Learn More <https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/>
EAE7 45DF 818D 4948 DDA7 0F44 F52A 5A96 7B9B 6FB7
<https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF52A5A967B9B6FB7>

*Visit online journal*
http://lramage94.github.io <https://lramage94.github.io>

[image: Github]  <https://github.com/lramage94>[image: Linkedin]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/lramage94>
A. Wilcox
Details
Message ID
<477ee064-062f-9f0b-b55d-9fb4df02fbeb@adelielinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CAKkjsY-wis0TYRu72wB7p8NjfSob5mG1xF9Uw4ds5Q9tGBN+9Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1516752006
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 01/23/18 09:54, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I would like to get these two packages into main but I need help testing
> all of the different architectures.
> 
> I have x86_64, x86 covered as those are fairly standard these days and I
> have plenty of hardware to test them on, but I do not have a way to test
> any of the following:
> 
> - ppc64le 


I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
etc use EFI.

Most use either OpenFirmware (incl. SLOF) or proprietary firmware.  The
newer IBM (and compatible) machines use OPAL.

Therefore, the packages should really be arch="x86 x86_64 aarch64" only.
 (Maybe armhf?  I'm unaware of any 32-bit ARM SoCs that use [U]EFI
besides the HTC One M8 Windows Edition, which can't be flashed with
Linux or Android.)

Best,
--arw


-- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
http://adelielinux.org
Lucas Ramage
Details
Message ID
<CAKkjsY8QbzJKK7hNt3MoZ_DmAPSFa6Bny5qEkgaCQBjRxa8FBA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<077C1C38-46BE-49BA-A3A6-977E8D3B2173@nrv-linux.io> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1516805104
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
>> I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
>> POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
>> etc use EFI.

I also was not aware of this, but apparently someone out there is using it
based on this commit from Github,

[testing/efivar: enable build on ppc64le](
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/845248e11ee87446dbee1c4b4b01e247d9512598#diff-6110a0e63db2f6ffdb1bca6ca8cb5349
)

As I said before, I only have x86/x86_64 hardware so that's all that I can
test. But I do not want to drop architectures if people need them.

> I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with.

Awesome, Michael. Thanks for your help!

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM, Michael Davies <nemykal@nrv-linux.io>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with. My
> experience with EFI on arm is that it’s even more fickle than on x86, so if
> possible it would be good to test on several platforms. This system is a
> gigabyte mt30-gs0 board with a cavium thunderx chip. I’ll test out alpine
> on it this weekend.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> > On 24 Jan 2018, at 11:00 am, A. Wilcox <awilfox@adelielinux.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On 01/23/18 09:54, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to get these two packages into main but I need help testing
> >> all of the different architectures.
> >>
> >> I have x86_64, x86 covered as those are fairly standard these days and I
> >> have plenty of hardware to test them on, but I do not have a way to test
> >> any of the following:
> >>
> >> - ppc64le
> >
> >
> > I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
> > POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
> > etc use EFI.
> >
> > Most use either OpenFirmware (incl. SLOF) or proprietary firmware.  The
> > newer IBM (and compatible) machines use OPAL.
> >
> > Therefore, the packages should really be arch="x86 x86_64 aarch64" only.
> > (Maybe armhf?  I'm unaware of any 32-bit ARM SoCs that use [U]EFI
> > besides the HTC One M8 Windows Edition, which can't be flashed with
> > Linux or Android.)
> >
> > Best,
> > --arw
> >
> >
> > --
> > A. Wilcox (awilfox)
> > Project Lead, Adélie Linux
> > http://adelielinux.org
> >
>
>
> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---
>
>


-- 

[image: Visit online journal] <https://lramage94.github.io>

*Lucas Ramage* / Software Engineer
ramage.lucas@openmailbox.org / (941) 404-6794

*PGP Fingerprint* / Learn More <https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/>
EAE7 45DF 818D 4948 DDA7 0F44 F52A 5A96 7B9B 6FB7
<https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF52A5A967B9B6FB7>

*Visit online journal*
http://lramage94.github.io <https://lramage94.github.io>

[image: Github]  <https://github.com/lramage94>[image: Linkedin]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/lramage94>
Michael Davies
Details
Message ID
<077C1C38-46BE-49BA-A3A6-977E8D3B2173@nrv-linux.io>
In-Reply-To
<477ee064-062f-9f0b-b55d-9fb4df02fbeb@adelielinux.org> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1516754214
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hi,

I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with. My experience with EFI on arm is that it’s even more fickle than on x86, so if possible it would be good to test on several platforms. This system is a gigabyte mt30-gs0 board with a cavium thunderx chip. I’ll test out alpine on it this weekend.

Regards,
Michael

> On 24 Jan 2018, at 11:00 am, A. Wilcox <awilfox@adelielinux.org> wrote:
> 
>> On 01/23/18 09:54, Lucas Ramage wrote:
>> Hello,
>> 
>> I would like to get these two packages into main but I need help testing
>> all of the different architectures.
>> 
>> I have x86_64, x86 covered as those are fairly standard these days and I
>> have plenty of hardware to test them on, but I do not have a way to test
>> any of the following:
>> 
>> - ppc64le 
> 
> 
> I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
> POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
> etc use EFI.
> 
> Most use either OpenFirmware (incl. SLOF) or proprietary firmware.  The
> newer IBM (and compatible) machines use OPAL.
> 
> Therefore, the packages should really be arch="x86 x86_64 aarch64" only.
> (Maybe armhf?  I'm unaware of any 32-bit ARM SoCs that use [U]EFI
> besides the HTC One M8 Windows Edition, which can't be flashed with
> Linux or Android.)
> 
> Best,
> --arw
> 
> 
> -- 
> A. Wilcox (awilfox)
> Project Lead, Adélie Linux
> http://adelielinux.org
> 


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Carlo Landmeter
Details
Message ID
<CA+cSEmMJqUa=Wxfjg69X5TsJjUB+Fka7Wnc54_=qT0xRSnA-3g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<077C1C38-46BE-49BA-A3A6-977E8D3B2173@nrv-linux.io> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1516957816
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 24 January 2018 at 01:36, Michael Davies <nemykal@nrv-linux.io> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with. My experience with EFI on arm is that it’s even more fickle than on x86, so if possible it would be good to test on several platforms. This system is a gigabyte mt30-gs0 board with a cavium thunderx chip. I’ll test out alpine on it this weekend.

Our aarch64 port is using the same board "mt30-gs0" booted with uefi
so i can confirm it works.

-carlo


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Gennady Feldman
Details
Message ID
<CAFvNWOQsPS580P+ziWzDq8r5ZqNW10t08U4acyHD2LND-FO0cg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CA+cSEmMJqUa=Wxfjg69X5TsJjUB+Fka7Wnc54_=qT0xRSnA-3g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1544118823
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
I know it's been almost a year since this thread. Was trying to see if efi
setup was stable/working since last time I tried it. I tend to run Alpine
inside a VM. so I pulled the latest 3.8.1 Sep 11 Virt iso and tried to boot
inside VirtualBox with EFI enabled. I got the grub menu with "virt" kernel
option. After that it tried to boot the kernel and then nothing happened
after that. I think there was some effort to get the efi modules into the
virt kernel.

P.S. As a side note tried booting Alpine insider Hyper-V using "generation
1" (no EFI) and Linux "virt" kernel managed to enable hyperv_fb framebuufer
which was a pleasant surprise.

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:11 AM Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 24 January 2018 at 01:36, Michael Davies <nemykal@nrv-linux.io> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with. My
> experience with EFI on arm is that it’s even more fickle than on x86, so if
> possible it would be good to test on several platforms. This system is a
> gigabyte mt30-gs0 board with a cavium thunderx chip. I’ll test out alpine
> on it this weekend.
>
> Our aarch64 port is using the same board "mt30-gs0" booted with uefi
> so i can confirm it works.
>
> -carlo
>
>
> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---
>
>