Subject: [alpine-devel] making an alpine iso

From: Brian Knox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 18:45:08 -0400

I'm running Alpine 2.5 and having a problem making a custom iso.  I go
through the instructions here:

http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_make_a_custom_ISO_image

And things go well until, during the make phase, it gets to installing
syslinux.  I then get:

Downloading syslinux-4.06-r0
tar: usr/share/syslinux/ldlinux.c32: not found in archive

At which point the build dies.

I've gotten this error trying to build the default alpine-rescue.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Brian

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:40:02 +0200

> tar: usr/share/syslinux/ldlinux.c32: not found in archive

Not 100% sure, but it looks like alpine-iso is not backwards
compatible since it has been set to use syslinux-5 (which is not in
alpine 2.5).
You could try to checkout an older version of alpine-iso (before the
"support for syslinux-5" commit) which should probably still work.
You can do that by going into alpine-iso dir and: git checkout
4fc8419f46c543ae18bda240350d17f83f5bc936
If that still doesn't work, you could try to checkout some older
commit and see if that works.

> I've gotten this error trying to build the default alpine-rescue.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:46:21 +0200

On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:40:02 +0200

> commit and see if that works.

Yes, we should probably branch it in git.

-nc

---

---

From: Brian Knox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 05:50:51 -0400

Thanks for the response - I'll give it a try this morning.  I assume
another option would be to try edge - but I'd like to get an iso working w/
the stable release first.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Brian

---

From: Brian Knox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 06:54:12 -0400

Reverting to commit 4fc8419f... did the trick!  Thanks.

Brian

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:58:12 +0200

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Brian Knox <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Thanks for the response - I'll give it a try this morning.  I assume another
> option would be to try edge - but I'd like to get an iso working w/ the
> stable release first.

You can also use http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v2.6 which is compatible.
There is no release yet (waiting for grsecurity patch), but you can
build an iso from it if you want.

---