Subject: Add ttfautohint to testing?

From: "Steven Hum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 09:35:58 -0500

Freetype2 is in the stable repos. Would it be possible to have 
ttfautohint added to the repos as well?

i have tried unsuccessfully to build it from source (both current and 
older versions).. but obviously it likely can be built since the 
freetype2 package exists.

Unfortunately, i have been unable to determine the cause of the make 
failure.

Regards,
Steven Hum

---

From: Kevin Daudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:26:25 +0000

> Unfortunately, i have been unable to determine the cause of the make 

Can you share what you tried and what errors you received? That would
make it easier to help rather than everone having to try it from
scratch.

---

From: "Steven Hum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:21:32 -0500

i think i solved it..

Using the latest source version 1.8.4:

For some reason "make" fails if not executed by root.. (not sure why). 
But config.h is not created unless doing so (permissions problem).

There was still an issue with the make which required injecting
"#define _Bool signed char" into lib/llrb.h (again, don't know why).

With that patch, and running make as root, the build completed.

It seems to work in the couple of Iosevka font builds i have tried -- at 
least npm is not complaining.

Not a cozy feeling having to kludge the header file as a person who 
knows nothing about the sw -- just that it is a dependency for my use 
case. i am not well versed in makefiles and all that goes into packaging 
a substantial app such as this.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Regards,
Steven

---

From: Kevin Daudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 20:52:28 +0000

> Thank you for responding so quickly.

You could take a look at how it is being built for [archlinux][0] to get
an idea what you should do (not that not everything maps directly to
Alpine Linux, but you should get an idea.,

[0]:https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=ttfautohint

---

From: "Steven Hum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:36:03 -0500

Thanks for the suggestion.. (it has been eons since i have been on Arch 
-- with Void between than and now Alpine :)

i didn't spot anything magical in the AUR spec. There were a few 
./configure options passed but using those did not produce any different 
results:

- non root make fails on the same config.h permissions issue (fails to 
  get created)
- and running make as root fails on the undefined _Bool in the header 
  file (which is defined elsewhere).

So i'm stumped on this one.. why it's not a straight build considering 
the seemingly minor steps needed to create the binary. But i am far from 
qualified to assess the package. Perhaps someone else can chime in.. 
i am still curious.

Steven