Subject: How to handle makedepends on community for package in main?

From: Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 22:53:01 +0200

Hello,

I would like to add new subpackage for main/guile, however to do so, I
need etags program. That is part of community/emacs (emacs-nox is
enough). Obviously I cannot depend on community package in main
repository. So I'm not sure how to proceed.

Options I see:

1. Move guile to community
  -> Just no, I like it in main
2. Move emacs to main
  -> I assume there is a reason it's only community instead of main
3. Make new package community/guile-tags basically extracting the
   subpackage
  ->  That seems like it would be annoying to keep in sync (the versions
      should be exact match all the time)
4. Pre-build the file I needs (yes, it's a single file) and package it
   as part of the main/guile as a "patch"
  -> Very easy to forget to re-generate the file with version upgrade

Are there more options? Any ideas how to approach this? I'm unsure how
to proceed.

W.

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.