logrotation best practice

Faustin Lammler <faustin@fala.red>
<ZZviEuhrDXwOQPUi@falared>
Hi!
First post here so, sorry if this is the wrong place.

I recently migrated from Debian to Alpine Linux for my daily driver and
I am so far absolutely happy with it, thank you all for this great OS!

My question is about logrotation on Alpine Linux (so, not in the context
of containers). I discovered that the zabbix agent2 package
(zabbix-agent2-6.4.10-r0) does not provide a logrotate configuration. Is
this normal? What's Alpine's approach with respect to log rotation?

I could not find any documentation so far.

Thanks and I wish you all the best for 2024!

--
Faustin
GPG: F652 BCD1 1AA8 8975 F010 48A5 390A 2F27 832A 5C79

Best case is when an application supports writing to a file with
O_APPEND and can reopen it on signal using open/dup2/close.
If it can't, openrc gives you 2 options
output_log - this redirects to a file and can only be rotated using a
racy copy/truncate approach (truncate option in logrotate).
output_logger - this redirects to stdin of another program, not
supported by supervise-daemon and your application will stall if
logger program crashes. This is the approach I use in my services.

% cat /etc/conf.d/victoria-metrics
error_logger="logger -t $RC_SVCNAME"
rc_need=logger

On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 2:53 PM Faustin Lammler <faustin@fala.red> wrote:

> Hi!
> First post here so, sorry if this is the wrong place.
>
> I recently migrated from Debian to Alpine Linux for my daily driver and
> I am so far absolutely happy with it, thank you all for this great OS!
>
> My question is about logrotation on Alpine Linux (so, not in the context
> of containers). I discovered that the zabbix agent2 package
> (zabbix-agent2-6.4.10-r0) does not provide a logrotate configuration. Is
> this normal? What's Alpine's approach with respect to log rotation?
>
> I could not find any documentation so far.
>
> Thanks and I wish you all the best for 2024!
>
> --
> Faustin
> GPG: F652 BCD1 1AA8 8975 F010 48A5 390A 2F27 832A 5C79
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)