~alpine/devel

Re: Fw: Jdk17 packages from eclipse Temurin

Simon Frankenberger <simon@fraho.eu>
<cfe8173a-11f2-64ac-91ac-c28688796e65@fraho.eu>
Hi Joel,

thank you for your input and very detailed explanation of the
java-ecosystem and how the different vendors fit in it. I've read
something about it when it all started a few years ago, but memory has
faded since then.

Personally, I use the temurin builds by Adoptium on my windows
development machines and I'm very happy with it. It's really great
project and they keep on pushing stable and good builds for the
opensource community. Especially the TCK compliance and the so called
aquavit tests ensure that the builds are good and ready for production use.

I've thought about changing the aport builds from the plain openjdk
build to the temurin build, especially as they provide a really good
documentation and scripts to build the java versions from source.

But as far as I can see, they only provide alpine x86_64 builds and only
headless builds. I'd like to provide builds for other arches as well
(s390x, aarch64 and ppc64le) which seem to be not supported by temurin.
Non-headless builds would also be nice but are not a game-breaker in my
opinion.

I've not decided yet which way we should take, to be honest. Both
variants (building vanilla openjdk vs using temurin to build) have
advantages and disadvantages.
Personally, I prefer staying as vanilla as possible, shipping exactly
what oracle decides to ship with each release. But as you may see from
the history of the openjdk11 aport in the git tree, I've had to do a lot
of work to make it actually work with alpine and had to adjust the patch
with each new version.
As oracle added the musl specific fixes and changes, it works quite well
now and we just have to maintain a single, small patch for ppc64le only.
Also I think it's easier to write and adopt patches that way.

Do you see any advantages in using the build scripts from temurin over
using the openjdk vanilla make?

Thanks,
Simon

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)