RFC: Move Kamailio from main to community

Nathan Angelacos <nangel@tetrasec.net>
<da1c41e8af5b0c1e2fd2d2bbe2a2121a748be042.camel@tetrasec.net>
I propose we move the kamailio-* packages from "main" to "community"

Reason:

Alpine Linux says it is "Small / Simple / Secure"

A SIP proxy including multiple dependencies on increasing vast sub-
dependencies is increasingly "not simple."

Kamailio was part of Alpine before 1.9, when things were much smaller.
(We didn't even have a community repository back then, IIRC)

Moving Kamailio from main to community allows us to include more sub-
packages that are already in community.  At the same time, it reduces
the core distro size by several MB.

Comments?

Re: RFC: Move Kamailio from main to community

<0bcb530d-b860-0966-1271-72f69d5ff333@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<da1c41e8af5b0c1e2fd2d2bbe2a2121a748be042.camel@tetrasec.net> (view parent)
On 3/29/24 13:41, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> I propose we move the kamailio-* packages from "main" to "community"
>
> Reason:
>
> Alpine Linux says it is "Small / Simple / Secure"
>
> A SIP proxy including multiple dependencies on increasing vast sub-
> dependencies is increasingly "not simple."

I would want one sip server with basic/usable functionality in main/.

--
Regards,
V.Krishn

Re: RFC: Move Kamailio from main to community

Nathan Angelacos <nangel@tetrasec.net>
<3cc9ed8e8cc078a2f35402a507a94edda2c9476e.camel@tetrasec.net>
In-Reply-To
<0bcb530d-b860-0966-1271-72f69d5ff333@gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sat, 2024-03-30 at 17:05 -0400, V.Krishn wrote:
> On 3/29/24 13:41, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> > I propose we move the kamailio-* packages from "main" to
> > "community"

<snip>

> I would want one sip server with basic/usable functionality in main/.

Fair enough.

Asterisk and Freeswitch are also both in main; I would put Kamailio as
the #3 choice.

My reason for suggesting Kamailio be demoted to community is that an
increasing number of dependencies are only in community.  (two examples
are dnssec-tools-dev and libmicrohttpd-dev, and some of the STIR/SHAKEN
dependencies)

Going forward, do we:

* Provide fewer modules than other distros?
* Move Kamailio to community?
* Provide 2 sets of apks, for instance Kamailio and Kamailio-community?

I don't have a solution, but your feedback was and is appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: RFC: Move Kamailio from main to community

<6bef2993-02ac-82c2-306e-87544f876b34@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<3cc9ed8e8cc078a2f35402a507a94edda2c9476e.camel@tetrasec.net> (view parent)
On 4/8/24 11:12, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> On Sat, 2024-03-30 at 17:05 -0400, V.Krishn wrote:
>> On 3/29/24 13:41, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
>>> I propose we move the kamailio-* packages from "main" to
>>> "community"
>
> <snip>
>
>> I would want one sip server with basic/usable functionality in main/.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Asterisk and Freeswitch are also both in main; I would put Kamailio as
> the #3 choice.

Was able to install Kamailio as sip server on a low resource device
after reading docs for couple of minutes, I believe it can be done with
Asterisk and Freeswitch too.

If we want to decrease size in main/, I could suggest to move -dbg pkgs
to separate folder (separate topic).

> My reason for suggesting Kamailio be demoted to community is that an
> increasing number of dependencies are only in community.  (two examples
> are dnssec-tools-dev and libmicrohttpd-dev, and some of the STIR/SHAKEN
> dependencies)

Are there any chance of these new deps to move to main/ in next Alpine
release, if yes, could solve the problem, at-least for now.

> Going forward, do we:
>
> * Provide fewer modules than other distros?

-1 (Not read in details the need to add httpd features yet)

> * Move Kamailio to community?

+1 (if it cannot be delayed till alpine v3.21)

> * Provide 2 sets of apks, for instance Kamailio and Kamailio-community?
Wouldn't suggest, as installing from community/ should not be a problem.

--
Regards,
V.Krishn
In-Reply-To
<da1c41e8af5b0c1e2fd2d2bbe2a2121a748be042.camel@tetrasec.net> (view parent)
On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:41:45 -0400
Nathan Angelacos <nangel@tetrasec.net> wrote:

> I propose we move the kamailio-* packages from "main" to "community"

This also means that we only provide kamailio security fixes for the
latest stable release branch of alpine. If that is ok, then I'm all for
it.

For main repo we provide security fixes for two years.