Subject: Procmail removal

From: "Ariadne Conill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:45:43 +0000

Hello,

I would like to remove Procmail from Alpine.  It is not maintained
upstream and FTBFS on at least mips64.  I have disabled procmail on
mips64 as I do not believe it is worth fixing.

Procmail's upstream maintainer states that Procmail has numerous
security defects and should be removed.  OpenBSD has removed it
already based on the security concerns.

Thoughts?

Ariadne

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 16:16:51 +0100

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:45:43 +0000

> already based on the security concerns.

Sounds like a good idea to nuke it.

Thanks!

-nc

---

From: "Ariadne Conill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 15:20:32 +0000

Hello,

> Sounds like a good idea to nuke it.

Alright then -- if nobody raises any objection by end of day, I will
nuke it.

Ariadne

---

From: Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 18:56:37 +0100

Hello,

> Alright then -- if nobody raises any objection by end of day, I will

I do use it for filtering pop3 mail on my laptop, so I would prefer if
it stayed in the repositories. If anyone can recommend similar solution
that I could just plug into getmail:

+   $ cat ~/.getmail/getmailrc | grep -A3 destination
[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/procmail

I'm guess I could switch to it.

Have a nice day,
W.

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

---

From: "Ariadne Conill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:15:13 +0000

Hello,

> I'm guess I could switch to it.

OpenBSD has fdm which is basically a drop-in replacement for both
procmail and fetchmail.  I believe it is already available in
Alpine.

Ariadne

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 15:36:52 +0100

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:15:13 +0000

> procmail and fetchmail.  I believe it is already available in

We have fdm now, in testing.

Thanks!

-nc

---

From: Nathan Angelacos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:36:41 -0500

> We have fdm now, in testing.

+1 

Thank you, Ariadne.