Subject: [alpine-devel] APK Tools does not ensure fchmodat/fchownat succeed

From: "A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:18:57 -0600

update_permissions in src/database.c does not check the return value of
fchmodat nor fchownat.  There are a number of reasons it could fail:

- EIO, disk I/O error

- ENOMEM, memory was exhausted while apk was running

- others, though they are much more theoretical (abuild-apk shim hitting
EPERM, a bad package causing ELOOP, a filesystem corruption causing the
FS to go R/O while apk is running causing EROFS)

This also causes a build failure when building on glibc (because glibc
marks these functions as having return values that cannot be ignored).

I think it would be a good idea to ensure these calls succeed and set
the package as having an error if it isn't (so that a reinstallation can
be attempted).  But I don't know if there is a reason they are ignored.

I also am not familiar enough with apk-tools to be confident in the
proper way to set error (don't even know if ipkg is accessible from
update_permissions which seems like the main way an error is set).

Thanks,
--arw

-- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
https://www.adelielinux.org

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:07:28 +0100

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:18:57 -0600

> update_permissions which seems like the main way an error is set).

I think this is something we should fix.

Can you please create an issue on bugs.alpinelinux.org, and maybe send
a proposal for a patch (if you have any). I suspect it will be easier
to give feedback on a patch.