Subject: [alpine-devel] rEFInd, Alpine, and luks

From: Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 15:26:19 +0100

Hello list,

I am booting Alpine on a laptop via rEFInd off an encrypted volume 
(LUKS), and it works fine, but I hit a minor annoyance: the password 
prompt doesn't show up, even if the system is waiting for one. I suspect 
this is related to how/when the screen is refreshing or changing 
resolution during the booting process. As a result, I need to wait for 
"a certain time", enter my password blindly, and hope I haven't entered 
it too early.

I have recorded a video to help with the description: 
https://youtu.be/mvAlxsDeeDs

Despite searching on Web, I couldn't find a reference of someone running 
into the same issue, so I'm asking here: Any suggestion on what to do 
next to fix this?

Some distributions show a splash screen and prompt for a password to 
decrypt the volume after, and I suspect this refreshes the screen in a 
manner that would sort this issue. Any idea how to do that with Alpine?

Thanks for reading.

-- 
Étienne

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Bruno d'Arcangeli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:48:17 +0200

Le Saturday 16 Sep 2017 à 15:26:19 (+0100), Etienne a écrit:
> Hello list,
> 
> I am booting Alpine on a laptop via rEFInd off an encrypted volume (LUKS),
> and it works fine, but I hit a minor annoyance: the password prompt doesn't
> show up, even if the system is waiting for one. I suspect this is related to
> how/when the screen is refreshing or changing resolution during the booting
> process. As a result, I need to wait for "a certain time", enter my password
> blindly, and hope I haven't entered it too early.
> 
> into the same issue, so I'm asking here: Any suggestion on what to do next
> to fix this?

You may try to boot your kernel with the "nomodeset" option. For adding
it to rEFInd:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd#Passing_kernel_parameters

-- 
Blog ARM à la sauce Linux ultra légère:
http://www.arcangeli.org

---

From: Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:48:15 +0100

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd#Passing_kernel_parameters
Ah, thanks, but although it's not visible in the video, I have already 
tried that, with no difference in the result.

-- 
Étienne

---

---

From: Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 23:46:11 +0100

> tried that, with no difference in the result.
Sorry, replying to myself here. This seems to be tied to the hardware I 
was testing on (a Lenovo x120e), I can't reproduce the issue on a 
different laptop.

Thanks for reading anyway.

-- 
Étienne

---

---

From: Kevin Gallagher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:49:27 -0700

Still suggests there's a bug somewhere...

On 09/17/2017 03:46 PM, Etienne wrote:
>> Ah, thanks, but although it's not visible in the video, I have
>> already tried that, with no difference in the result.
>>
> Sorry, replying to myself here. This seems to be tied to the hardware
> I was testing on (a Lenovo x120e), I can't reproduce the issue on a
> different laptop.
>

---