Subject: [alpine-devel] Re: [musl] Re: cups debugging, continued...ugly patch

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:43:25 -0400

>>>>> "RF" == Rich Felker <[email-masked]> writes:

RF> Of course binding a reserved port like this is a serious security
RF> smell -- it sounds like they're trying to facilitate port-based
RF> authentication, which is unsafe if used for anything except localhost.

If it is for the lpd protocol, there are (or at least have been) systems
and printers which only accepted print jobs via lpd if they originated
on the lpd port.  Or maybe it was if they originated on a <1024 port.

I have a vague recollection of bug reports for cups in the early days
about that.  

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Rich Felker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:14:55 -0400

> I have a vague recollection of bug reports for cups in the early days

Yes, this sounds plausible, but those print servers/printers are
highly insecure already and should really be fixed to use proper
authentication.

It's also something of an issue that cups lpd even has permissions to
bind reserved ports for outgoing connections, since this means it is
retaining root permissions past startup...

Rich

---