Subject: Mailing lists overhaul updates

From: Drew DeVault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:12:05 -0400

Hiya! Been working on setting up lists.sr.ht for Alpine over the past
few days, and I think everything's in place. To summarize, Carlo set up
the listserv container for me to work in, and I installed & configured
the necessary software there. There were a number of upstream changes
required, but the rub is:

- Old hyperkitty archives can be imported
- Old hyperkitty web archive URLs can be redirected to the new archives
- Old mlmmj subscriptions can be imported
- The posting addresses have changed, but redirects were put in place so
  the old ones still work

If you want to play with the result, check out
https://lists2.alpinelinux.org. If you want an account, reach out to me
for an invite (registrations are closed to the public) -
ddevault@freenode or via email is fine. Incoming emails are wired up
but I didn't import subscribers, so feel free to post a few test emails
if you want (if you Cc me, I can go delete them from the archives
later).

On the listserv box, there's a README at /home/ddevault going over some
of the technical details, including notably the credentials for the
"alpine" meta-user which has ownership over the lists. Future
improvements to the upstream project should eliminate the need for this
weird meta-user and clean things up a bit.

I've done a full end-to-end test of all of the features and migration
details, and I believe everything is in good working order. The
remaining work-items are:

1. Finish configuring the new lists
   a. Create & configure the lists on lists2.alpinelinux.org
   b. Import the archives
   c. Import the subscribers
   d. Create the hyperkitty redirects for nginx
   (These procedures are outlined in detail in the README)
2. Cut over DNS for lists2.a.o -> lists.a.o
   a. Update nginx config on listserv
   b. Update /etc/sr.ht/config.ini on listserv
   c. Update postfix transport db on smtp.a.o
3. Backfill any emails & subscriptions in the archive that came in
   during the migration process

If you're curious in specific details about things like
restricted-posting mailing lists (e.g. alpine-announce), feel free to
reach out for a walkthrough. My part here is done for now - looking
forward to helping the infra team on the next steps.

-- 
Drew DeVault

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 14:17:22 +0800

Hi!
Sorry that i didn't have time earlier to reply your email.
I'm still on my business trip but i'll be back after next week.

Nathan, Do you have any concerns about this migration?

> - The posting addresses have changed, but redirects were put in place so
Thanks a lot for your time and help setting this up. It is highly
appreciated.
I know we haven't always been easy to deal with, but i think you understand
the reasoning.

> if you want (if you Cc me, I can go delete them from the archives

I didn't really have time to test it in depth, i will do that after next
week.
>From what i've seen until now i like, and you seem to care about our
concerns which is super nice.

> weird meta-user and clean things up a bit.

Looking forward for that change.

>    during the migration process
Let's do that after next week. I'll ping you on IRC.

P.S. I think you are referring to hypermail instead of hyperkitty.

Again, thanks a lot!

-carlo