Subject: How to debug slow start

From: Sebastian Tarach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 01:39:02 +0200

Hello,

Fresh Alpine Virt 3,10.1 installation is hanging up after starting NTP
service ( is marked ok )
but just sits there for about 30+ seconds doing nothing.

How can I check what happens in the mean time ?

Thanks

---

From: Cosmo Borsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:44:15 -0400

> but just sits there for about 30+ seconds doing nothing.

This may be due to the vm gathering entropy.
Try to add an entropy builder like `haveged` or `rng-tools` and ensure
it is started on boot.

> How can I check what happens in the mean time ?

Try typing random keys on your keyboard at the vm window during init.
Once you can log in, type `dmesg` to check the logs. You might see
something like "crng init done". Take a look at the timestamp between
that message and the message before it.

---

From: Tuan Hoang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 09:27:49 +0200

> that message and the message before it.
I thought we solved this when we added trust cpu vendor kernel option ?
CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_CPU=y